Cross Body Camera Straps

Discussion in 'Photography Equipment & Products' started by OldManJim, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Cortian

Cortian No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I wondered about that, myself, while I was briefly looking at them.

The thing I like about the Op/Tech version I bought is the quick-adjust strap mechanism. When I'm going to be moving through places--doors, people, what-have-you, I can quickly and easily cinch it up snug, putting the camera about mid-chest and taking all the swing out.

2. dl4449

dl4449 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Black Rapids when I use a strap, but I mostly use the Cotton Carrier.

3. TCampbell

TCampbell Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I use Black Rapid... I have two. A typical sling-strap as well as a double-strap for two cameras (which I hardly do, but it sure is nice at some events).

But one annoyance is that since the sling straps all want to attach to the tripod bolt hole on the bottom of the camera, it required me to remove the quick release plate to use the strap. But if I wanted to use the camera on a tripod, I had to remove the bolt and re-attach the QR plate ... which sort of defeats the whole point of quick release plates.

Then I discovered that AcraTech makes an Arca-Swiss type saddle that attaches to the Black Rapid strap (they make a these for a few systems). It has a dual-action locking lever to prevent the camera from releasing unintentionally. It’s not cheap, but I really like how fast and easily I can go from strap to tripod and back again. (NOTE: While the plates and saddles are “Arca-Swiss” compatible... the vendor is name is spelled “AcraTech” ... not “ArcaTech” (flip the c & r).

4. Destin

Destin Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    This.

I also have a RRS L bracket on my D810 that has the firearms style QR hitch socket on it.

I got a sling lug that connects to that socket, so now I can connect and disconnect my strap from the bracket at the push of a button.

Works extremely well and is way more secure.

5. ac12

ac12 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I talked to a pro who used one and she loved, it for wedding photography.
    And I saw how she used it, and she used it well.
    The camera holster was on her side, so the front of her body was clear of the camera when she had to arrange the brides dress or do other tasks.

BUT, her husband did not like it. His problem was that he was skinny and did not have any hips, so the belt just slid down his pants. He needed a belt with a suspender system to hold up the belt, for it to be functional. In the end he used a WIDE strap (I think Peak) and just had the camera over his shoulder.

Last edited: May 2, 2018
  6. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I am looking to replace the advertising camera brand straps with a less eye catching strap, like all black.

I have the same problem that Tim and Destin pointed out.
    I have an AS L-bracket or plate on my camera, and it would be a PiA to have to remove the plate to put on the strap mount. Then that defeats the purpose of the AS L-bracket/plate when I want to use the tripod, as I would have to first remove the strap mount, then put on the L-bracket or plate (and where is my allen wrench). For me, the L-bracket or plate lives on the camera.

I looked at the Acratech 'Swift Clamp' and it looks good, but as Tim said expensive.
    But then the camera and lens is expensive.

The Peak Design 'slide' and 'slide light' seems like a possible solution.
    My only concern is the cord-like attaching mechanism to the camera.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Another vote for Peak Design, great strap that you can easily alter the length of the strap while wearing it with a clever little buckle type thing, great to use.

8. SquarePeg

SquarePeg Nevertheless... Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    I use the OpTech strap with both connections attached to the same ring on the right side of my camera. I could use just one connector but I like the redundancy. My gear is not heavy so I’m not worried about the ring failing.

I can wear the strap cross body when I fully extend the strap. I’m 5’6” so this wouldn’t work for someone much taller. Using the ring leaves the tripod mount free and allows me to grab the camera and slide it up the strap to my eye without the strap being in the way.

The OpTech is super lightweight. The way I have mine set up I can wear it on either side.

9. OldManJim

OldManJim No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    Another vote for the Optech strap. I'm 6' tall and it works well for me. I've had it about 2 months and it seems to do everything I want. As SquarePeg noted, it's each to adjust or wear cross body on either side. Comes in handy on a long day; you can shift the weight as desired.

10. RowdyRay

RowdyRay No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos OK to edit
    I have since switched to the Peak Design system. The slide, a couple of Captures and a Pro Pad. I can carry it over my shoulder, on my sling bag or on my belt. It all works well together. Even on my tripod. May get the lens holder too.

They make different plates. Sure you can get something to fit your needs. The cord like attachments are really strong. It holds my t2i, grip and Tamron 200-500mm no problem.

11. ac12

Photos NOT OK to edit
  12. Fujidave

Fujidave They Call me the wanderer Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Photos OK to edit