Croton On Hudson | I also like Dams

D-B-J

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well, grad school starts next week, and I know I'll be super super busy. So I headed out Thursday for an all day adventure--we hit Croton on Hudson, Bull's Bridge, and Kent Fall state park, and then had an excellent dinner in West Hartford. Turns out, the water levels at both the first and last stops (the two I had planned on stopping at) were super low. Like, depressingly low, photographically speaking. I was able to work with it at the Dam, but kent was so low I didn't even photograph it. That being said, I can't wait to visit in the fall when there's more water and the trees turn :)

Here's one from Croton on Hudson. It's a beautiful dam, truly. I'll post the others from Bull's Bridge in a separate thread later on.

_RSP7240 by f_one_eight, on Flickr

Lee Big Stopper + Lee Landscape Polarizer

Cheers!
Jake

Two exposures, one for the sky, one for the falls?

Very cool architecture along with the waterfall! It flows together quite well. I wonder what adding a bit of the foreground water would do to the overall effect. I like it as is, but just curious to see more water (any reflections?)

Also, I might clone out the top right leaves. I would have been fine with it if more were showing, but right now it just seems unintentional and distracting for me.

Two exposures, one for the sky, one for the falls?

Very cool architecture along with the waterfall! It flows together quite well. I wonder what adding a bit of the foreground water would do to the overall effect. I like it as is, but just curious to see more water (any reflections?)

Also, I might clone out the top right leaves. I would have been fine with it if more were showing, but right now it just seems unintentional and distracting for me.

Nope, one single exposure. The D800's dynamic range really comes in handy with these shots. And sadly, the water was so damned (ha!) low that beneath the frame was dry exposed concrete.. Sadly no beautiful flowing water to help frame the dam. Nice idea about the trees in the upper right, I'll see what I can do.

Jake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else have constructive criticism! I need it [emoji5]️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like it overall but, imo, the perspective distortion confined to right side is a little too smack in the face as are the exaggerated colors.
Next time I go up that way, I'm going to go look at that dam.
That is an incredibly beautiful part of NY, especially during the fall and the view from the Hudson River line that runs right on the Eastern shorn is wonderful.

Dude, you were 20 minutes from my house.

(Oh, and Croton-on-Hudson is the name of the town. The dam is just called the Croton Dam. It's on the New Croton Reservoir and part of the Croton Gorge Park. Lots o' Crotons, easy to get confused ;) )

Last edited:
Your shadows are all blocked up in my opinion. You've lost a lot of shadow details (underneath the bridge and the rocks on the left in particular) and the image comes across as under exposed and slightly over saturated as a result. The composition feels a bit unbalanced as well. Lew attributes it to the perspective distortion, but in my opinion the leading lines of the bridge lead to an odd location. The result is that there is an unpleasant imbalance between the details of the dam in the right 3/5 of the frame and the dark and less interesting left 2/5 of the image. Framing more to the right would have helped, but there may have been reasons/obstacles that prevented this.

Framing more to the right would have helped, but there may have been reasons/obstacles that prevented this.

Yup - there's a fence there:

Day 36 - fence and dam
by limrodrigues, on Flickr

Trust me, I agree. There were many composition/framing hinderances here. The fence limr shows, and where the water coming down to the right (the fence leads to it) had a huge crane boom in the way, as they are doing some restoration. Sadly, I was really locked into how I framed it.

Jake

(Oh, and Croton-on-Hudson is the name of the town. The dam is just called the Croton Dam. It's on the New Croton Reservoir and part of the Croton Gorge Park. Lots o' Crotons, easy to get confused ;) )

Oh! Good to know! It's hard to get accurate info from others on Instagram and the web sometimes ;)

Next time I come back I'll let you know and we can grab a cup of coffe/tea somewhere!

Jake

Oh! Good to know! It's hard to get accurate info from others on Instagram and the web sometimes ;)

Next time I come back I'll let you know and we can grab a cup of coffe/tea somewhere!

Jake

Absolutely! And if you like dams, I can bring you to Kensico: kensico dam - Google Search

Not quite as architecturally interesting as Croton, but still a really beautiful dam and plaza.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back