Crud in my viewfinder [Nikon F2]

ManifestReverie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm novice, so bear with me please.

I have only been using this Nikon F2 for a couple of months and have never taken it apart. I looked in the manual and decided to clean the viewfinder and lenses to see if i could clean them up and get them looking better.

Part of the fuzzy, black cushioning that is adhered to the camera body (where the viewfinder makes contact) flakes off whenever I take the viewfinder or focusing screen out. I can see black specks when I put it back together and look through it. They are obviously the same little flakes.

My question(s): Will material on the focusing screen show up in the photos?
Or, is that view only for me to frame up and not what the film is exposed to?
What components of the camera / lens are the most importantly to keep debris out the final shots?

I've read I need to get some microfiber cloth and maybe a specific type of alcohol to clean the lenses, mirrors etc. Any help and suggestions are more than welcome!

I'm afraid to shoot any until this issue is resolved. :(

Stuff in the prism will not appear in shots, don't mess with the mirror in a camera its too easy to damage, the black stuff is a light sealing compound which you may be able to replace, don't take lens apart either, very little inside a lens will interfere with the shot, film cameras can be cleaned out easily with canned air and I have never harmed a front or rear lens element by breathing on it and gently wiping with a nice cotton tee-shirt KEEP ALCHOHOL AWAY.

The biggest problem with film are the processing labs and handling by fools, use a good pro lab and the shots will be fine, dust and fingerprints on negs are your biggest enemy but can be removed by rewashing and drying in a dust free environment. H

I had the same issue with my F2 but a trip to a camera repair store fixed it. I'm not sure what they did, it just cost me 60$ CDN, but I haven't had any thing flake or come off or the mirror stick since.

My question(s): Will material on the focusing screen show up in the photos?
No. It can't. Think about how the camera works. To allow light through the lens to reach the film, the mirror must flip up out of the way. that's why the viewfinder goes black briefly when you release the shutter.

Or, is that view only for me to frame up and not what the film is exposed to?
See above.

What components of the camera / lens are the most importantly to keep debris out the final shots?
The rear element of the lens, and then the front element of the lens.

I've read I need to get some microfiber cloth and maybe a specific type of alcohol to clean the lenses, mirrors etc. Any help and suggestions are more than welcome!
Be carefull with microfiber cloths. They can trap particles that could scratch the coatings on a lens.

I mainly use a good natural bristle brush to keep dust of my lens glass and I prefer disposable lens tissues myself.

As mentioned use lens cleaner, never alcohol.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHgBuKmfog[/ame]

WOW, so many useful replies!

Thanks to all, who have demonstrated the high utility of a healthy & active forum.

-Scott

Most reactions

New Topics

Back