Crumbling defenses

Morning bump. No thoughts on this one? I keep wondering if the shadows are too dark..

Its nice, I dont think the dhadows are too dark. Good job!
Thanks!

One thing I was trying to find out, but never did, was if this was originally a French defensive post or a British one. I'm thinking French, because I don't think the British had control of this island until the post cannon era.

I like the composition
but I think the cannon is in the ... umm ... shadows too much lol

quite nice really.

on laptop LCD .. tilted it more - I can see the shadows better now too. I really like the contrast of the white mortar with the dark stones too.

I was going to go to your flickr .. but I'm blocked lol

quite nice really.

Thanks!

on laptop LCD .. tilted it more - I can see the shadows better now too. I really like the contrast of the white mortar with the dark stones too.

I was going to go to your flickr .. but I'm blocked lol

Haha, you're not blocked! I just don't make my photos public.. Nothing personal, I swear! And thanks for the comment! I found that on devices like my phone, the shadows are quite dark and a lot of detail is missed. But on my calibrated desktop, it looks very different..

I like the composition

:lol: Unfortunately, moving it would have been a might difficult, and probably illegal.. And thanks for the comment!
Promising shot, something for the wall, but I have to agree about to deep shadows. Your main subject is not standing out, the opposite rather. Do you think fill in flash would hurt the picture ?

Cool a wee flick through the interweb and Wikipedea has a timeline showing the island changing hands multiple times in the 1700s. So the Brits definatley occupied it in the times where canons were used.

I guess to find out further you'd need to look at a local timeline or see if there are spesific differences in the way the French and the English built their defences to know for sure.

I like the composition

:lol: Unfortunately, moving it would have been a might difficult, and probably illegal.. And thanks for the comment!
Promising shot, something for the wall, but I have to agree about to deep shadows. Your main subject is not standing out, the opposite rather. Do you think fill in flash would hurt the picture ?

Thanks for the reply. I don't know if flash would have been practical, or rather I don't think my skills would bee sufficient to effectively use flash in such a wide angle shot. There is actually still quite a bit of detail I can pull out of the shadows yet, just using the DR of the RAW file.

Cool a wee flick through the interweb and Wikipedea has a timeline showing the island changing hands multiple times in the 1700s. So the Brits definatley occupied it in the times where canons were used.

I guess to find out further you'd need to look at a local timeline or see if there are spesific differences in the way the French and the English built their defences to know for sure.

Thanks for doing the work for me, haha! I honestly just hadn't gotten to it, yet. Though when I was talking with the locals, it sounded like it had only changed hands a couple of times. You now have me curious enough to look into it more.

I like the natural light shadows. You kept detail in all but the deepest shadows. It deserves a frame. Nice job.

Most reactions

Back