Crystal Cave

crimbfighter

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Explored Crystal Cave in Wisconsin over the weekend. It's the longest cave in Wisconsin. The cave is privately owned and was discovered in the late 1800's with tours running in it since the early 1900's. It was a b%$&ch to get any photos to turn out just because of the extremely low light. One on camera flash just couldn't light the rooms of the cave adequately, either. The stone was not very reflective so bouncing it didn't work, and when pointed forward, the light was too flat and fell off too quickly.. Didn't have a tripod, either.. Nor could I have used one on the tour. I was hand holding at shutter speeds at or below 1/10 sec at ISO6400..

Anyway, here are a few that I thought worked will in B&W. Kind of reminiscent of the old mining days.

1. Stair case to enter the cave.

2. Pathway to the lower chambers.

3. And this is the face in the cave! (flash used on this one)

Nice!!! That place looks cool.
Thanks, and it was very cool! I remember camping in a different cave is Wisconsin when I was a kid in the Boy Scouts. I'm not a huge fan of small spaces, but caves never bothered me. (though you wont catch me spelunking through uncharted caves..) It's fascinating to me to see how they formed over such huge spans of time, and to see all the different types of rock underground. And the fossils! Wisconsin used to be an ocean, so there were quite a few prehistoric marine fossils imbeded in the walls.

Most reactions

Back