CS5 Discount

ecr111

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I received an email yeasterday from Adobe with an offer for CS5 for $300 for owners of PSE8, which I have and registered 6 months ago.

I just bought LR3 a month ago for $284 and have been happy with it.
I have been able to do evrything I thought I needed, but this is a good price.
I used PSE8, along with NX2 and LR3beta, before getting LR3.

What do you think.
I can afford it but I don't know if it will be usefull, and it comes with a steep learning curve.
But it is almost to good to pass up at $350 off list just to have it.

Lightroom cannot edit pixels, CS and PSE can.

PSE is very limited, having only about 40% of the capabilites CS has.

Plus, once you have CS5 you then qualify for upgrade pricing when newer versions appear. Currently they allow upgrade pricing for 3 levels. So, you could hang onto CS5 until it's time to upgrade to CS8 in about 4.5 years.

The learning curve is steep because it is such aversatile application. It gets used in ways the programs designers never envisioned.

OK, Thanks.
I had considered the future proofing, as it were, for later.

I had pretty much convinced myself and unless there is a pursuading negative response I will get it tonite or tomorrow.

BTW, I see you are NAPP.
Do I get a membership discount with the purchase of CS5 and the other adobe stuff I own? ;)

just an fyi, upgrades are about 199, and in fact i got an upgrade for c5 recently from newegg for 149 with free shipping.

just an fyi, upgrades are about 199, and in fact i got an upgrade for c5 recently from newegg for 149 with free shipping.

Ok, but I gotta buy an origonal first, and the price on Amazon is 649 and 658 on newegg. So 300 is great!

OK, Thanks.
I had considered the future proofing, as it were, for later.

I had pretty much convinced myself and unless there is a pursuading negative response I will get it tonite or tomorrow.

BTW, I see you are NAPP.
Do I get a membership discount with the purchase of CS5 and the other adobe stuff I own? ;)
NAPP members, get a 15% discount from Adobe, by accessing Adobe through the member section of PhotoshopUser.com.

If you are not a NAPP member, but want to be, you can use my referral link to join: http://www.photoshopuser.com/?aid=luhgxq

Adobe is not NAPP,so there is no NAPP membership discount if you buy Adobe products.

NAPP member benefits, discounts, and perks

Last edited:
If you think PSE is great and already do the things you want, then I would not buy it.

If you are a student or faculty member, the Adobe discounts are significant. If you are not, do you have a non-photographer student friend or member of your household who would be willing to buy for you? CS5 extended is $199.

Eh, yeah. Student prices. Distributors prices. but its not a huge difference in what your about to pay... Do you have any of the previous programs where you can just upgrade?? or no?

I have PSE and LR3 and the discount offer was for PSE owners.
No previous PhotoShop versions.

So, I'll get that from Adobe for a legal copy instead of asking someone for their student discount.

Thanks folks.

and waste $100 or so, the student version is the same and "legal" and would be the route I would take if I thought the program was needed, I use CS1 which does the job I need, no further upgrade required. H

Maybe I'm confused.

It seems that I hear/see on here and other photo sites people are always complaining about copyright and "someone used/posted my photo without permission/compensation".

Do you think that owners of other intellectual/creative/physical property don't deserve to be fully compensated?

I'm not talking about the perceived "fairness" of the price.
You are not required to purchase it.

Like KMH was saying, you are able to upgrade the PS later (cheaper price). You cant do that with student version

Most reactions

New Topics

Back