Bee Bee

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.photographybybon.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Me again...

I took this shot while were in Cuba a few weeks ago. While everyone else was sat watching the show, I was stood at the back with my 450D in sports mode!

I got over 200 shots at the time but had to go through them and work out which ones were good enough to keep! This is just one that I took xxx

IMG_4570.jpg

I like how you captured the action here. The splashes of water, for me, really make the shot. My only concern is it seems to be over-exposed and there are several blown out areas. Other than that, I really like the shot, and the crop you chose. Well done.

Previously I'd shoot sports in Shutter Priority (Tv) mode, so I'd be sure of stopping the action. Then on forums like this one, I'd seen folks shooting action in aperture priority (Av) mode. I prefer that now, as I'm often looking for a specific depth of field, with my subject in focus, and the background less so, to make the subject stand out more.

With the camera in Av mode, I'll adjust the ISO to assure that the shutter speed is fast enough to stop action (if that's what I want).

I usually prefer to slightly under expose my images as it's often easier to bring back shadow detail than to bring back highlight detail. With it in Av mode, I'll use the EV control to set -1/3 or +1/3 depending upon how a couple test shots look in the LCD. EV control helps with tough lighting situations like yours here, with water. Water and snow can fool our camera's light meter into under exposing.

When I really want a quality image, I'll shoot in RAW, and on Manual exposure, using the light meter to slightly under expose, rather than EV control. Again I'll use ISO to assure the shutter speed is where I want.

Hope this helps. :)

Much as I hate it, the manual does help! :)

Then LOTS of experimenting!

Most reactions

Back