Curves

mitsugirly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Do most of you use curves to sharpen an image or do you usually use the smart sharpen on your pictures?

I've never worked with curves yet in PS (I'm still learning all the functions of PS) and I just discovered how to do the curves to sharpen the image and was really proud of myself. (Although I don't know if I'm doing them correctly, but I know they looked a lot better than when they were shot).

Do most of you use curves to sharpen an image or do you usually use the smart sharpen on your pictures?

I've never worked with curves yet in PS (I'm still learning all the functions of PS) and I just discovered how to do the curves to sharpen the image and was really proud of myself. (Although I don't know if I'm doing them correctly, but I know they looked a lot better than when they were shot).
Curves to sharpen?

Curves can vastly influence color balance and tonal contrast, but it generally won't affect edge sharpness by a massive degree. There are tools appropriate to edge sharpness -- which is what we refer to generally when we say an image is 'sharp'. Un-sharp mask is the reigning king of sharpening tools, but smart sharpen and sharpen edges all of their use.

You could, theoretically, use curves and masks to properly sharpen an image, but it'd be about 2010 before you had an image finished.

I sharpen in Lightroom with the Detail category.

I use the curves to adjust light and contrast.

I haven't been using PS that much lately. I like the ease and simplicity of LR better...

Trying not to hijack the thread, but why the hell do they call it "unsharp mask"? - It sharpens and does not make a picture unsharp. This question has been in the back of my mind for years, but I never got around to asking - until now ;)

Thanks Mike. I don't know why I didn't wiki it before. I do try not to ask too many stupid questions round here ;)

That is a fantastic link by the way.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back