Cyclist (Panning)

TCampbell

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My other half just got his bike back after weeks of service (he damaged the original frame beyond repair). Now that he has his new frame, he was pretty eager to get out and ride... and wanted photos of the "new" bike.

I took some "panning" shots of him. These are taken with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS at about 135mm. I set the shutter to 1/40th. Light was a bit variable (overcast was increasing & decreasing) but my favorite three out of the bunch all just happened to be at f/5.6 (ISO 100). Image stabilizer was on and since these were all hand-held I used IS mode 1 on the lens.

To take these, I set the shutter to 1/40th and then set the aperture to whatever was necessary based on metering to allow for a blurred background and wheel spokes.

I switched the camera to AI Servo (if you have a Nikon you'd use AF-C).

The 5D III has a fairly advanced focus system. I set 'zone' AF and used a zone of focus points near the upper right. The focus tracking was set to Canon's "Case 2" mode ("Continue to track subjects, ignoring possible obstacles" is the priority.) I also set the camera to continuous shooting mode.

Here's the results:

#1 VO3A1116 by Tim Campbell1, on Flickr

#2 VO3A1121 by Tim Campbell1, on Flickr

#3 VO3A1123 by Tim Campbell1, on Flickr

I think the third one is my favorite.

These aren't technically final versions... these have some basic adjustment but I very slightly tweaked a few things after posting these to Flickr.

Superb captures! Perfect choice of settings.

I'm getting motion sickness now.......... thanks a lot! :lol:

#3 for sure! :thumbup:

Thanks everyone!

A super post, T. Campbell, in every respect. Really fine panning work. The bike and rider stand out fantastically well.

really cool!

#3! Jelly of the pics... I want some like this of me too. Nice job!

Last edited:
He is hardcore. He even shaved his legs hahaha.

He is pretty hard-core. He's not on any teams and he doesn't compete, but he does ride... (he probably rides quite a bit more than people who are on serious teams.) He does not actually shave his legs... he's just doesn't have hairy legs.

So about a week ago, he actually got written up in a CNN article: Fitness tools that tap the power of your friends - CNN.com

CNN was doing a story on modern fitness apps. They contacted one company who (and we had no idea they were watching this) pointed him out as a customer because he was the #1 rider on their app (worldwide) out of over 4000 riders. He noticed in the first month that he used the app that he was the #1 rider and the #2 rider wasn't even close to him. Then a few riders decided to "go after him" by massively increasing their mileage. He answered by upping his mileage... and the "race" was on. It was quite a friendly competition. He would write encouraging comments to everyone who responded by riding more and they'd write back.

While they wrote about his competition with the rider in Japan, they didn't write about another guy that I found a bit more inspiring... one rider go the app because he was seriously overweight and wanted to get his health back in check. Leon would write him with encouraging comments and the guy would write back grateful for the encouragement from someone like him. The guy lost a crazy amount of weight (I don't remember how much, but it was impressive.) I thought it was pretty cool.

He is hardcore. He even shaved his legs hahaha.

He is pretty hard-core. He's not on any teams and he doesn't compete, but he does ride... (he probably rides quite a bit more than people who are on serious teams.) He does not actually shave his legs... he's just doesn't have hairy legs.

So about a week ago, he actually got written up in a CNN article: Fitness tools that tap the power of your friends - CNN.com

CNN was doing a story on modern fitness apps. They contacted one company who (and we had no idea they were watching this) pointed him out as a customer because he was the #1 rider on their app (worldwide) out of over 4000 riders. He noticed in the first month that he used the app that he was the #1 rider and the #2 rider wasn't even close to him. Then a few riders decided to "go after him" by massively increasing their mileage. He answered by upping his mileage... and the "race" was on. It was quite a friendly competition. He would write encouraging comments to everyone who responded by riding more and they'd write back.

While they wrote about his competition with the rider in Japan, they didn't write about another guy that I found a bit more inspiring... one rider go the app because he was seriously overweight and wanted to get his health back in check. Leon would write him with encouraging comments and the guy would write back grateful for the encouragement from someone like him. The guy lost a crazy amount of weight (I don't remember how much, but it was impressive.) I thought it was pretty cool.

Wow, now that's a picture worth a thousand words. Awesome story. Was the app in question strava or map my ride? Fitness and weight loss was my reason for starting. I fell in love on my first ride. Amazing workout and the pounds just drop. I hate the gym and after all these years I found cycling finally.

Pictures A+, story A++

Great set -LOVE #3. Thumbs up to Leon.

Wow, that is some really nice panning! And the CNN story, along with your addition of the weight-loss guy--very inspiring!
Not QUITE inspiring enough to make me get on a bike, but inspiring nevertheless... :lol:

Great panning but this story is f'in awesome.

Most reactions

Back