D 600 Owners, how about some feedback. Looking to upgrade.

Whole lot of positive in this thread so I hate to be the doom and gloom guy but I have to tell ya my experience. I had a ton of oil/dust or whatever they are calling it all over my sensor. So much that it was showing up in all my pics at anything smaller than f/8. Sent it to Nikon and they cleaned it and also replaced my shutter and when i got it back it still had some oil/dust on the sensor. They got rid of the majority of it and it is no longer visible unless I hunt for it but I thought they would get it all off being that they are Nikon. Other than the dirty sensor tho, the camera has been absolutely wonderful. Images are amazing and the ISO performance is EXCELLENT. I would still recommend the camera even with the oil issues and if Nikon ever gets this fixed and/or runs the free lens sale with it again than its a no brainer. I just wanted ya to know the oil problem is real and a much bigger deal than I had initially thought. Really hoping this new shutter they put in is a permanent fix, because $2000 is an awful lot of cash to drop on a camera with a sensor that will get very dirty even if you never change the lens from day 1.

Whole lot of positive in this thread so I hate to be the doom and gloom guy but I have to tell ya my experience. I had a ton of oil/dust or whatever they are calling it all over my sensor. So much that it was showing up in all my pics at anything smaller than f/8. Sent it to Nikon and they cleaned it and also replaced my shutter and when i got it back it still had some oil/dust on the sensor. They got rid of the majority of it and it is no longer visible unless I hunt for it but I thought they would get it all off being that they are Nikon. Other than the dirty sensor tho, the camera has been absolutely wonderful. Images are amazing and the ISO performance is EXCELLENT. I would still recommend the camera even with the oil issues and if Nikon ever gets this fixed and/or runs the free lens sale with it again than its a no brainer. I just wanted ya to know the oil problem is real and a much bigger deal than I had initially thought. Really hoping this new shutter they put in is a permanent fix, because $2000 is an awful lot of cash to drop on a camera with a sensor that will get very dirty even if you never change the lens from day 1.

Thanks for your input. Do you clean the sensor, and if so, how difficult is that. Thanks again Ed

My favorite photographer just did a review on the D600. He seemed to like it. If it's good enough for him, I'd say it's good enough for me. Though, I can't really say what's "good enough" for you...

Review: Nikon D600?The People's Full-Frame DSLR - Music Photography

I'd say do it. Everyone seems to be raving about them, even through the dust/oil issue. If they can leak oil onto the sensor and still be a hot item, then Nikon had to have done something right with this body.

For what its worth. I called B&H Photo today to make some inquiry.
! What about the sensor dust issue on a refurbished D600. Reply. Nikon Fixes that problem in Referb
2 What is the shutter count. Less than 2000

I'm about one payday from getting this one. Gulp.

Mine just arrived. Baby boy is napping in my lap but I am so ready to rip this box open. lol

oldhippy,
Cleaning was a little intimidating the first time. After that, nothing to it. Remember your first time, decided not to go there. As far as the D600, there's really only a couple of things I don't like. 1/4000th of a second is the fastest it will go.
I think my D7000 went to 1/8000th. You have to depress a button to operate the mode dial. The most annoying issue for me is the size of the AF area bracket. The rectangle that corals the focus points in the viewfinder. To small!
Oh yeah, one more, still CAN'T tether photos using LT4 or LT5.

Check out (YouTube) "Sensor cleaning with Copperhill" by Moose Peterson

Absolutely nothing to worry about with a refurrbed unit. (did I just say unit? hehehe) The warranty is the same and chances are the inspection was more thorough.

Oh yeah, one more, still CAN'T tether photos using LT4 or LT5. ..........

DigiCamControl.
fiufiu.gif

According to DxOMark...the D600 has 12% lower resolution than the D800, with a 30% file size savings for the D600. They call it a pretty good tradeoff.

Just opened n ran a shutter count check.. 144!

I'm gonna live vicariously through you guys.:cheers:

Are you over the quivers yet. So happy for you, still 2 weeks out. Post some pic. Very interested if the 35mm works out OK, I've got mine up for sale, but may reconsider.
Have fun. Ed

Are you over the quivers yet. So happy for you, still 2 weeks out. Post some pic. Very interested if the 35mm works out OK, I've got mine up for sale, but may reconsider.
Have fun. Ed

Yep! My son is being suchhhhhhhhhhhhhh a handful though!!! My goodness! lol Doesn't he know mama has a new toy to play with?? I saw some pics somewhere taken with the 35mm on d600 fx and it seemed to just create a reallyyy subtle vignette if i remember right.

Most reactions

Back