What's new

D200 vs D80

jjparson

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Dec 22, 2008
Messages
190
Reaction score
47
Location
Utah
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Not sure what direction to go. I am helping my bro in law procure a camera. To get the questions out of the way. The budget is no more than $750 all inclusive. I used to own a D80 and really enjoyed it as my first DSLR. In looking around it appears that the D200 and D80 are fairly similar priced in the used market. Would it be prudent to go with the D200 or the D80? I would probably go with a 50 mm prime to start as well.

Let me know your thoughts and thanks in advance.

JP
 
Have had a D80 and D200. And now on a used D90.

The D200 is so much better in build and feel and use. Think of it as a the wayward brother on steroids to the D80.

Also consider a used D90 as body only can get them for $650-$750 range. Got mine for $675 and was only 4 month's old primo mint. And with the release of the D7000 craigslist should be having a flood of D90 owners upgrading over the next 4 weeks.

But if weight isn't an issue then You Will Love the D200.
.
 
D200 > D80

No brainer there, get the D200 - the low ISO is beautiful on that body.
 
Thanks everyone. I am on the hunt now. I have one located for $475. I will see if I can negotiate.
 
The d200 cost around $100 more on the used market, performance is about the same; with a very slight edge to the d200 in high-iso.

The benefits of the d200 are:

1)All metal build
2)Faster
3)meters with non-cpu lenses
 
What law?

Just asking because the D200 includes a feature that specifically tags a checksum of the RAW data into the RAW file to allow traceability and tamper proofing for photographs. :)
 
What law?

Just asking because the D200 includes a feature that specifically tags a checksum of the RAW data into the RAW file to allow traceability and tamper proofing for photographs. :)

Yep forgot about that myself. As when I bought the D200 was on old firmware and didn't have the image authentication for law enforcement as long as firmware has been updated to 2.01 it will have it.
.
 
Just got my D200 2 weeks ago and I am in love with it.
 
Another good body in that price range is the Fugi S5. IT uses the Nikod AF-D mount and is in the d200 body. The dynamic range is amazing ans is really a forgotten about camera. You can find them around the same price as a D200. I would look into it.
 
I paid $550 use at Adorama.

That's a decent price from a reputable dealer like Adorama, I'd expect to pay a little less if buying from a private party.

One trick I use is to buy a camera body bundled with a desirable lens, and then resell the lens if you don't need it. I've helped my friends by cameras this way, and can typically save them $100 or more (D80 for $300, D200 for $400).
 
I paid $550 use at Adorama.

That's a decent price from a reputable dealer like Adorama, I'd expect to pay a little less if buying from a private party.

One trick I use is to buy a camera body bundled with a desirable lens, and then resell the lens if you don't need it. I've helped my friends by cameras this way, and can typically save them $100 or more (D80 for $300, D200 for $400).

True, but I don't have anything to complain about it.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom