D200 with remote SB-600

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok well I have been working on getting the D200 to trigger the SB-600 off camera and have succeded:) One question though, when the camera is in command mode and the on camera flash goes off it makes a buzz sound?? normal? When the camera is not in Command mode triggering the SB-600 the on camera flash sounds normal.

There is no way to trigger the SB-600 without fireing the on camera flash is there? From what I have found the on camera flash mush be used for the SB-600 to fire. Thansk

i've got a D80 and yeah you need the on camera flash up to trigger other flashes when the camera is in commander mode.. or you could use an sb-800 on camera in commander mode if you wish..

not sure about the buzzing though as mine doesn't buzz, have you maybe got the on camera flash on manual and firing 1/1 or something i really don't know.

I have it on TTL and I think I did manual 1/1 as well. It is just a buz sound right before/as the on camera flash fires. Everything works fine, and it does not do it unless it is controlling the SB-600 so I am hopeing it is normal.

The only way to get around using the onboard flash is to get some radio remote triggers.

http://jerryphpics.blogspot.com/2008/06/002-specific-settings-for-various-cls.html

;)

Answer: Aftermarket triggers OR a SU-800 unit (IR, not a flash).

However, if you set it up right, the on board flash will contribute little to nothing to the picture, even if it fires. In SU-4 mode you can set the on board flash to 1/128th and if you feel it is contributing to the picture even at this VERY low level, place your hand in front of the on board flash, or make yourself a little GOBO so that the light goes up or to the sides... or any other direction other than what you are aiming te picture at. A little piece of tin foil bent the right way worked 100% for me in the past.

Everything works fine, and it does not do it unless it is controlling the SB-600 so I am hopeing it is normal.

It is normal. How do you think the camera communicates with the flash to tell it what power to set it at? ;)

It will not do this if you use FV LOCK or SU-4 mode. Then there are no pre-flashes and it just fires as soon as you hit the shutter.

Yours audibly buzzes? I know why it would buzz but I know that mine does not.

D40 is there an issue with firing the on camera flash? The flash can be set to -- in the camera menu meaning it will fire only to send data to the remote unit, during the exposure it stays dark. This works exceptionally well.

http://jerryphpics.blogspot.com/2008/06/002-specific-settings-for-various-cls.html

;)

Answer: Aftermarket triggers OR a SU-800 unit (IR, not a flash).

However, if you set it up right, the on board flash will contribute little to nothing to the picture, even if it fires. In SU-4 mode you can set the on board flash to 1/128th and if you feel it is contributing to the picture even at this VERY low level, place your hand in front of the on board flash, or make yourself a little GOBO so that the light goes up or to the sides... or any other direction other than what you are aiming te picture at. A little piece of tin foil bent the right way worked 100% for me in the past.

Thanks for the site:)!

Yours audibly buzzes? I know why it would buzz but I know that mine does not.

D40 is there an issue with firing the on camera flash? The flash can be set to -- in the camera menu meaning it will fire only to send data to the remote unit, during the exposure it stays dark. This works exceptionally well.

When I set the on camera flash to -- the SB-600 did not fire, I will try it again to make sure of that though. Yall are all so smart, maybe some day I can come close to understanding all this like you guys;) Thanks

Most reactions

Back