D3, d700, or something else for low light family kid pics

The best part of an external flash isn't necessarily the light it puts out...ok, well, maybe the second best part is the focusing grid it projects. When you half press the shutter, are you seeing the red grid projected? It is insanely helpful, and should alleviate your focus issues. From what I understand, your D7000 should be able to provide more than adequate results for what you are trying to do. Sure, a 24-70 2.8 would be nice, but with your current gear, you should be able to get great results.

Care to post a few examples of some shots that you are proud of, and some that you aren't so proud of. Maybe we can help you with what you currently have.

If you still want to upgrade, the D700 has come down in price quite a bit and is a phenomenal value, but I think you would see more of an improvement with the 24-70 than you would the D700.

sorry took me a bit to respond to your post on my computer, was just using iphone for initial thread.
trying to load a few pics, first time so we'll see if it works. the first one i like had time to set camera the way i wanted and came out nice. the other i took with my son in the car but clearly the auto focus picked up his hat first not his face and thats a focus issue one i was talking about. i didn't realized it till later when i looked at the screen review or i woiuld of taken another and made sure it was good. ok the photos didn't load i'll try again. k not getting it to work, up loaded images 5x into the image loader and a red ! point is after it tries, not sure why. i'll get it eventually i guess.

Last edited:
All off these scene modes your D7000 has:
Autumn Colors
Beach / Snow
Blossom
Candlelight
Child
Close-up
Dusk / Dawn
Food
High Key
Landscape