D3200 macro decisions

Blackgt2004

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a beginner/hobby interest photographer and looking to get a macro lens for my D3200. Primary subjects would be flowers, leaves, insects. Not much interested in the portrait side.
I had narrowed it down to either a new Nikon AF-S DX Micro NIKKOR 85mm f/3.5G ED VR or a new Tokina AT-X 100mm f/2.8 PRO D. However a local shop also has a used Nikon Micro 105mm f/2.8 in very good/mint condition for $330. I also gave thought to the Tamron 90mm but its a bit out of my price range at $650. No local shop carries the 85mm or 100mm for me to try. I can obviously check out the 105mm.

I like the 85mm Nikkon because the auto focus (debatable for macro from what I've read) would work with my camera and it has VR. But its also the most expensive.
The Tokina is well reviewed and price is good compared to the 85mm, but I'm curious if the external focus movement would scare away insects. It also doesnt have VR.
The price on the 105mm Nikon is attractive compared to new, but theres no factory waranty and it doesn't have vibration reduction either. Auto focus also won't work with my camera.
Can anyone help me sort out what matters and what doesnt on these lenses for the kind of macro photography I'm interested in? Thanks!

For value, it's tough to beat the little Nikon 40/2.8g. No AF/metering issues. AF for macro isn't crucial for stationary subjects.

I'd go with the 105mm because I like a bit more working distance. I lean towards stuff that doesn't move much, so a tripod works for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back