D3X Buzkashi Crop-- UNREAL

Whatever floats your boat. As far as i'm concerned though, I didn't spend 3 grand on my D700 to shoot in 12-bit. Not to mention, when set to 14-bit uncompressed NEF, my camera can still shoot 8fps, not a piddly 1.3. Even if i'm doing portraits, when you get in the zone with your model or client, 1.3 is still slow, especially when shooting with availible light.

I cant tell the difference on screen between 12 and 14 bit in any shots that ive taken. side by side comparisons fail to show any difference. The only real benefit (as far as I can tell, and im no expert) is the latitude when processing in PS for instance, which gives a wider range for changes. So I can understand the benefit of shooting in 14bit when required, however if exposure is spot on to begin with, and lets face it, at 8K for the D3X it should be, (and in fairness it is most of the time) then the benefit is lost, or at least, not required? especially when weighed against frame speed. That shot of the Buzkashi rider has an awful lot of sky behind the rider, and glare from the ground, with a white building (well white by afghan standards) and a white horse alongside, but exposure is still spot on in my opinion. So shooting in 14 but wouldnt have given me any benefit?. I cant see any part of that photo that would have benefitted from shooting at 14bit? Please correct me if im wrong, as it would help enormously, im happier behind the lens than when processing, and ive come to the conclusion, having edited a few, that the camera knows what the colours should look like much better than i do, im tone deaf when it comes to colours :)
cheers!
martin

ps:
just saw this
Conclusions: NEF is far superior to JPG in recording detail in deep shadows (black). 14-bit NEF is better than 12-bit NEF, but only if you are going to heavily modify your photo and attempt to pull detail out of very dark areas of your photo (or if you are going to be using high ISO).
http://www.nx101.com/12vs14.html

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back