D40 accessories

D40

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, I just perchased my first DLSR and love it greatly and want to know what kind of accessories you all find important? For example:

Do you reccommend Camera Armor?
Which Speed light works best with the D40?
Do the sun filters (Hard ones) that screw on the end of the lense work well or are they not worth it.

Thanks, I am sure I will have more Questions soon:)

Welcome to the forum.

A Tripod is always a good accessory. A Circular Polarizer (filter) is also a great accessory to have. The Nikon SB-600 is a good flash unit.

Thanks for the fast answere. I do have a tripod but that is it at the moment. I have been looking at the camera armor recently and wondering if that is worth the money and how well it works? Any camera armor users? Thanks

Ok, that flash is the one I was looking at at Circuit city, glad to hear it is a good one:)

I've seen that 'camera armor'...although not in person. It looks interesting...but I don't know how useful it would be. It would surely protect against most bumps and scratches but a drop would still be a shock for all the internal parts and the lens or lens to camera connection...which the armor doesn't protect.

If it's not too expensive, it might be worth it...but just being careful will your camera is free.

Thanks, I may give it a try, just to keep it from minor scratches and such. I will be going to a graduation next week and am thinking about taking pictures, and was wandering what setting would be best for that sort of situation. I do not know much about using the camera in Manual mode and would like to get the best pictures I can?

I wonder what exactly you mean by "sun filter". A lens hood that usually comes with your lens is important to reduce lens flare when shooting in sunny situations. As far as a glass UV filter I am not a big fan some people reccomend them highly to protect your lens.

Camera armor isn't worth it. I mean honestly, think about it are you REALLY going to need it?

For the graduation, if it's going to be indoors, set your ISO to 1600 and leave your aperture wide open. You're also going to need to get pretty close becuase 55mm isn't that long.

instead of armor... buy insurance its better and cheaper :)

even with armor, drop it in the river or bounce it off some rocks..... its scrapped :(

with insurance you get a new lens and camera yay :)

Camera armor isn't worth it. I mean honestly, think about it are you REALLY going to need it?

For the graduation, if it's going to be indoors, set your ISO to 1600 and leave your aperture wide open. You're also going to need to get pretty close becuase 55mm isn't that long.

Thanks for the tip, I follow on the ISO but what do you mean by "aperture wide open"? Yes I do need another lense:) There is one at Circuit City that goes to 200mm for around $250 and it has the AF motor so that is covered.

What kind of insureance are you talking about- the extended warrenty?

instead of armor... buy insurance its better and cheaper :)

even with armor, drop it in the river or bounce it off some rocks..... its scrapped :(

with insurance you get a new lens and camera yay :)

I've wondered about insurance. Do I need to buy separate insurance for my camera, or is it covered by my home insurance?

I've wondered about insurance. Do I need to buy separate insurance for my camera, or is it covered by my home insurance?

Check your home insurance policy or call your insurance agent (if you have one). When we got our home insurance policy, some things were automatically included and other things we specifically had to add (and pay extra for).

Thanks I will have to do that. I had a chance when I got the camera to buy the warrenty but it cost almost $150 for 2 years:( The camera already has a 1 year warrenty with Nikon and the Circuit City warrenty really only gives you 1 more year so I did not get it. Boy they have that worked out:) My last camera was a Fujifilm S5100 and I got a 4 year warrenty for $50 so I went ahead and got it. That worked out though because I sold it to my Uncle a few weeks ago so I could get the D40 and I was able to make the deal sound better by saying it still had 2 years of warrenty service (warrenty was transferable).

D40, having a warrenty is not the same as having insurance. The warrenty with the D40 covers things like broken innards (not drops) but insurance covers things like theft, and basically any other dammage that the warrenty doesn't cover.

Don't rely on a warrenty, those stores can really screw you over, they always find loop holes as to why they don't have to fix it for you (case in point my canon zr 80 video camera is going to cost me almost 300 bucks to have fixed)

Most reactions

Back