D40 for a first DSLR?

Eyetattoo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm in the market to upgrade from the P&S camera I currently have. I like the price of the D40 but I'm not sure if it the best camera in that price range. Any input is much appreciated.

If you want to stay with Nikon D40 is a good starting DSLR. The D60 is about $80 more and has some additional features. It's competitor is the Canon XS.

For entry level cameras and bang for the buck. I think Pentax gives the most features. They don't quite have the pro line of Nikon or Canon. But for someone that has no intentions of going professional that needs alot of different lenses. Pentax has some really good features. Not saying you can't go pro with Pentax cameras as you can. Just Nikon and Canon has a larger selection of current lenses and accessories.

Basically people normally reccommend going with Nikon or Canon as thats what the majority of pro's use now a days. But that should not limit your choices. I have Nikon and Canon currently. Using Nikon the most.

Most will advise to pick a system and stick with it as lenses are what you keep as you trade up in bodies. So your really picking lenses and then a body to work with them. As digital bodies improve all the time. So, lenses are what you actually keep over time.

Welcome to TPF

I think the D40 is the perfect camera for getting into DSLRs. Especially now because Nikon just announced its probable replacement (the D3000) so in the next few months the price will probably be as good as it will get.

I've taught a number of beginners' photography classes and everyone I've met with a D40 loves it. I highly recommend it--I have one for my wife that I love to use when I want something small and easy. It's plenty of camera for starting with, it's nice and small/light and the price is right. I think you'll love it if you decide to get it.

If you go for it, check out my blog where I talk a lot about how to use DSLRs (I use the D40 as my primary example.)

I started with a D40, it's a great camera... to this day I regret selling it and often consider buying another one to have around.

Reasons I upgraded from the D40 to the D80:
1. Dual command dials.
2. Off camera flash.
3. Internal focus motor.

Since I'm going, I may as well list my whole process :lol:

Reason I upgraded from the D80 to the D200:
1. GPS capability and it was only $599 at Best Buy.

Reason I upgraded from the D200 to the D90:
1. Better performance at higher ISO.

Last edited:
As said, D40 is an excellent first DSLR. If you want to get into photography more or think you might get more serious, you may find a few limiting things with it down the road. BUT, you can always sell the body for a good price when you want to upgrade.

agreed.
i have it and i love it.

How does the D40 stack up against the Canon equal as far as features and upgrade ability?

The only real upgrades are lenses, and each is capable of using pro level glass.

There is only one way to determine if Nikon or Canon is better for you... hold them. They are similar, but different enough to where you may love one and hate the other. Figure that out and then make your decision on brand... only then can you decide which model of that brand to get.

How does the D40 stack up against the Canon equal as far as features and upgrade ability?
There isn't really a direct rival from Canon. The closest, mentioned above would be the Canon XS, but it's slightly more expensive with a few more features and more on par with the D60.

The Canon vs Nikon debate could go on endlessly and really boils down to personal feel and preference. I know it's already been said, but the D40 is a GREAT first DSLR. If you get more serious down the road you may find yourself wanting to upgrade, but you can always sell the D40 body if this is the case and I guarantee it has more than enough for you to learn with and grow in to.

The only additional piece of advice I can offer if you get a D40...

If you ever 'outgrow' it and decide to upgrade, keep it... don't make the same mistake I did and sell it to offset the cost of your upgrade body.

Thank you for the honest opinions. A few more questions before I'm done, lol.

Besides the price of the glass is there any advantage of having the motor on the body versus the lense?

Besides the lense that comes in the kit are there any other lenses that are a must have? (my normal pictures are of friends/family, nature/landscape and of motorcyle races. None of this is for money all just for fun/memories)

Thanks again!

The advantage of having the motor in the body is simply that you'll have more lenses available to you since you can use the ones with AF motors in lens as well as without. Most of the ones without motors in the lens will still work, you'll just have to focus them manually and won't have AF available. Obviously, like you said, the lenses that have motors in them tend to be more expensive.

The kit 18-55mm will do just fine for general purpose. I would say to use it, learn the camera and everything and then if you need another lens later on to better suit your use and needs, you'll know.

I recently just gotten into photography, and as my 1st dslr.
i choose a Canon XSi.
I got that w/ the efs18-55mmis and an efs55-250mmis for 716 no tax/shipped
Like you, i was seriously thinking of getting a D40/D60 as my frist camera, but it was just one of those deals I couldn't pass up, since both lens/body retail for about 1100.

If you're looking for a deal, i usually go on techbargains or slickdeals to see what options you may have availble for you at your price range.

Have fun!

is there any advantage of having the motor on the body versus the lense? (lens)
Canon doesn't think so. None of their cameras have a focus motor in the body. Nikon took the motor out of the entry level bodies to make their camera as small as the Canon entry level cameras.

People as less likely to balk at making the switch to DSLR's if the camera body is closer to the size of a P&S.

Most reactions

Back