D40's can auto focus with Sigma HSM lenses?

BuZzZeRkEr

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
True or False?

D40's focus with the HSM lenses = true. HSM means Hyper sonic motor which means teh motor is built into the camera making basically the equivelant of the SWM of nikons lenses

:thumbup: Thanks ;)

They actually focus quite well on them.

Most Sigma HSM will AF on the D40. Make sure you do a good google search on the particular lens you want. Some sigmas are guaranteed to work (the ones sigma says will) some just do work (a lot of the HSM lenses) a few sometimes work (depending on date of manufacture) a couple will not work period.

Thats what my research has yielded. There should be some good charts out there in various places.

I am so tempted to buy this lens with good reason. It is "fast" lens, it is macro capable and it is cheaper than nikkors. But if someone here who has this lens can comment on it that will be really helpful. Will it be much better than 18-55 nikon kitlens - or only slightly better?

I am so tempted to buy this lens with good reason. It is "fast" lens, it is macro capable and it is cheaper than nikkors. But if someone here who has this lens can comment on it that will be really helpful. Will it be much better than 18-55 nikon kitlens - or only slightly better?

What lens are you talking about?

the sigma 17-70 hsm autofocuses with the d40 and is a great lens. But i think the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a better lens for the money, it does not have the zoom of the sigma but it is 2.8 all the way through and not 2.8-4.5. The tamron has a built in motor that autofocuses with d40/x's too. Or just go all out and buy the nikkor 17-55mm 2.8 lol.

In my opinion i would sacrifice the end of the telephoto for a faster zoom end range. You could always walk back and forth for the extra 20mm :D

$.02

the sigma 17-70 hsm autofocuses with the d40 and is a great lens. But i think the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 is a better lens for the money, it does not have the zoom of the sigma but it is 2.8 all the way through and not 2.8-4.5. The tamron has a built in motor that autofocuses with d40/x's too. Or just go all out and buy the nikkor 17-55mm 2.8 lol.

In my opinion i would sacrifice the end of the telephoto for a faster zoom end range. You could always walk back and forth for the extra 20mm :D

$.02

I agree that Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 would be a better choice but the version that supports autofocusing by D40/40X is announced to be available after 13th march. The current version does not have built in focus motor. I will buy its Pentax mount version after 7th of March.:thumbup:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back