D40X / D80 Question

Kawi_T

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I currently own both. I was going to sell the D40X but since it seems like it is now worth much less than I paid, I'm thinking about just keeping it. At the end of Feb. I'm going on a 4 day trip to Georgia to watch motorcycle races. My plan is to just take both cameras. One rigged with my 18-55 and the other rigged with my 55-200. Also bring the 50mm with just because I can. So if that is the plan (why not, right?), does it matter which lens I put on which body? I expect I'll be using the 55-200 more because its outside and I'll probably being shooting from a distance. I figured I'd put this lens on the D80 and take the majority of my pics with this setup.

Does this sound like the right plan? I could also just bring the D80 and switch lenses if needed, but why switch if I have 2 bodies available?

Go with whichever you're gonna be most comfortable with. I would go with just the D80, but that's just me.

Personally I would sell the D40x (and maybe the 55-200 too) and put the money towards some nicer glass and then just go with the D80. I've seen some fantastic shots at motorcycle events with 80-200 f/2.8's with or without teleconverters. The extra speed might come in handy if the light isn't so good, and the tight depth of field you can get with an f/2.8 can make some crazy good eye-popping photos. The extra reach of a 70-300 might be worth something too. You might also consider renting a lens.

MAV has a point. Used 80-200 f/2.8 lenses are cheap and are very serviceable. A used 300 2.8 MF can be had for a song these days too, but would be a pain at the races unless you are good at pre-focusing and panning really well.

Ditch the D40x. That camera was just slick marketing by Nikon. They threw on a new sensor with a few more megapixels, which don't matter in the end anyway, added no new features - then asked way too much money for it. Now that the D60 has come out I would guess that the value of the D40x is going to plummet, so get rid of it as soon as possible.

I have the D80. It offers more features than the 40 and if I take the grip off it isn't even that much bigger and heavier.

As far as the races, you might as well take two bodies while you still have them. Put your bigger lens on the D80 because it balances better. Just my $.02

Actually the D80 handles quite poorly with the 55-200. All of the weight is at the back and it's difficult to stabilize the setup. At least it was difficult for me.

To each their own, I guess...I would rather have my weight in the back than way out over the front. The 55-200 is pretty light though, I guess. I'm used to my hefty Sigma and Tokina lenses which need some counterweight to balance for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back