D40x vs. D80....

coastietech

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
As said in a previous thread I lost my d50 and will be buying a new one with the insurance money. Well me and the wife were thinking about upgrading to the d80. I then got to looking at the d40x. It is almost $300 cheaper than the d80 and comparing them side by side the only difference I could truly see is the d40's lack of an internal AF drive motor. All the lenses I am looking at getting, there is another thread in this forum, are AF-S except for the 50mm f1.8 I was looking at. So is the extra $300 for the D80 justified. I pretty much shoot whatever I see. I am too new at this to have something I specifically shoot. The main reason for the upgrade was for the greater ISO capabilities. The D80 will give me 100-1600(3200 with ISO boost) in smaller increments. the D40 will give me 100-1600(3200 with ISO boost) in increments of 100,200,400,800,1600,3200. Is the smaller incrementations os ISO better? I really want to get as much camera as I can since I don't plan on buying a new one for a long time. I really don't mind spending the extra $300 but I want to be able to justify it. Thank you for all your help in advance.

well would you take the D40 over the D80? adding 4 megapixels shouldn't change your mind much because megapixels dont matter all that much. As long as you dont mind not having access to all of nikons lenses, dont mind 3 AF points instead of 11(cant track movement very well), and you dont mind sacraficing the feel of the D80 meaning controls on the body instead of buried in menus (common in most entry level DSLRs). The D80 has superior metering and 2 dials for easy access to your settings. The D80 also features better burst mode (25 highest quality shots at 3fps, afterwards it drops to 2.6 fps until 100 pictures have been taken). While the D40X says it shoots 3 fps, this is only for basic quality, and the high quality JPEGs only shoot at 2.2 fps. did I mention the D80 can use the 50mm 1.4/1.8 as well as every other nikon lens, whereas currently the D40X's fastest lens is a 2.8.

Personally I'd make it a real upgrade with the D80.

Actually, the D40x has the same 10.2MP sensor as the D80. I would go for the D80, however, because of the ability to have AF with D series lenses. Also, I would check the functionality in manual mode. My D50 had only one dial for aperture and shutter speed. Turning the dial while pressing another button made the differentiation. This might be how the D40 works... On the D80, there are two dials, one for shutter speed and one for aperture. This is far easier to work and well worth the added cost, IMHO...

Actually, the D40x has the same 10.2MP sensor as the D80. I would go for the D80, however, because of the ability to have AF with D series lenses. Also, I would check the functionality in manual mode. My D50 had only one dial for aperture and shutter speed. Turning the dial while pressing another button made the differentiation. This might be how the D40 works... On the D80, there are two dials, one for shutter speed and one for aperture. This is far easier to work and well worth the added cost, IMHO...

Nope, the D40X's sensor is slightly different according to popular photography, though it does perform just about on par with the D80's.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3896/camera-test-nikon-d40x.html

second paragraph.

and yes, the one dial is doable and most entry level cameras have one dial with, as you said, a button to switch between the two. But I LOVE my two dials and cant even see myself using a single again.

Unless you don't care about autofocus or you only have/buy DX lenses, get the D80. The DX lenses have the motor inside them, so they are the only lenses that can autofocus on the D40/x.

Nope, the D40X's sensor is slightly different according to popular photography, though it does perform just about on par with the D80's.

http://www.popphoto.com/cameras/3896/camera-test-nikon-d40x.html

second paragraph.

I stand corrected.

and yes, the one dial is doable and most entry level cameras have one dial with, as you said, a button to switch between the two. But I LOVE my two dials and cant even see myself using a single again.

Like you, I find the two dial approach to be much better. To me, it's worth the price difference on its own. But then, I do a lot of shooting in the 'M' mode...

Do keep in mind that if you are going to be using off shoe lighting, the D80 has commander mode and light metering were the D40x does not. You are also moving from a 3 focus area on the D40x to an 11 focus area on the D80. In short, it's really going to depend on what you are using your camera for most. In my opinion, the D80 is deffinately a better buy. http://www.porters.com

Just like always, go into a Camera store and feel them out.

Otherwise, i wouldn't' even consider the D40.

i too have been looking at the d40x lately. it was going to be between it and the eos xti. my question is, i am going to be completely starting new, i've had older SLR (film) but i was never an expert with them. I guess you could basically say i'll be new. that being said, would the D40x be a good option for me?

i'm going later to the store to feel them out (like was mentioed earlier) but so far the d40x edges everything else out. i don't want another P&S, i've got plenty of those. i am just looking to increase my capabilities in the hobby.

did I mention the D80 can use the 50mm 1.4/1.8 as well as every other nikon lens, whereas currently the D40X's fastest lens is a 2.8.

Personally I'd make it a real upgrade with the D80.

not really, I'm afraid. If I'm not wrong, the D80 won't meter with older lenses. It does take them (I guess the D40 also does), but no metering. This is the main reason why, when I can afford it, I'll go for the D200; otherwise, would be glad with the D80 or D70.

On the other hand, personally I'd also take the D80, assuming that one has to choose between those two. It may sound childish, but the feel of the D40 alone makes me forget about it. And having to go through menus, as in a point&shoot. Well, after all I believe this camera was intended as a bridge to take from point&shoot to slr.

from the original post, it seems to me that money is not a significative issue at all. in such case, no doubt I'd go for the D80. I do think the extra money is justified (when one can afford it). But that's me, of course. Because it all depends on whether going through menus, not having the feeling of a real slr, being more limited with lenses, etc really matter to you or not. Might be that the differences that justify the price gap for many of us don't do it for you

Most reactions

Back