First time using X-T5 for astro - Portland Head Lighthouse

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First time using the X-T5 for astro. I was surprised by the amount of noise I had to deal with. With the X-T2 I always shot at ISO 3200 f/2 15 s and noise was manageable even when I had to bring the exposure up 3 stops in post. Is this the increased MP's bringing in more detail that looks like noise in the dark sky or is this just a different sensor handling the noise differently? I'm going to experiment with various settings and editing techniques with the X-T5. Maybe it's me trying to force the 5 into the same routine I use for the 2? Next milkyway shoot I'm going to bring the X-T2 along as well and shoot them both side by side. This location had more ambient light than I'm used to. Anyone else shooting astro with the X-T5 care to weigh in on settings etc?

ISO 1600, f/2, 8s using the Fuji 35mm lens.
PHL Milkyway by SharonCat..., on Flickr

I have a lot more photos from this location as we were there from 1am until sunrise! Still thawing out 3 days later.

Settings aside, I suspect different sensors+processors=different noise results?

This sky really does seem noisier than what you usually get. Brighter, noisier...I haven't a clue.

A side by side comparison would certainly show you a lot. It could be that, for astro photography, you may like your X-T2 better.

Looking forward to seeing more from this shoot.
we were there from 1am until sunrise!
Good lord. You're hell when you're well, girl!

I wondered why all the noise in the MW and not so much in the foreground. I managed to tone down some of the noise using On1's denoising and tossed in a bit of luminosity masking to get a bit more blue in the dark sky. I also adjusted the horizon line to level. And, just for grins and giggles, I cloned in some of the MW into the foreground water.

sqp.jpg

The color noise reduction saps all the color out of the stars. I'd rather have the noise and the color than neither.

I don't know anything Fuji, but the denser the megapixels usually means more noise.

I use DXO Photolab to denoise, and it is remarkable. Topaz has a nice app too.

Great shot!

I don't know anything Fuji, but the denser the megapixels usually means more noise.
That seems to be my unscientific experience! Good thing I still have the X-T2!

The new camera looks like its working well... :encouragement:
thanks Jeff…

I use DXO Photolab to denoise, and it is remarkable. Topaz has a nice app too.

Great shot!
I used Topaz on this one. Typically I don’t need Topaz for astro stuff. I just use the NR in Lightroom.

Several people on the Fuji forum suggested DXO is better at handling Fuji files. I may give the free trial a look.

It's a very nice shot! How do you manage the light pollution? Do you use a filter to filter out the yellow light? I've tried a couple times from the back yard, but haven't had any success yet.

It's a very nice shot! How do you manage the light pollution? Do you use a filter to filter out the yellow light? I've tried a couple times from the back yard, but haven't had any success yet.
Looking out toward the sea and the dark coastline there isn’t a lot of light pollution from this angle. I haven’t tried any of those filters. I can’t imagine they do much.

Sometimes I like a bit of light pollution on the horizon. It gives the shot some color. What Bortle # is your location in?

The X-T2 sensor is known to have a character of it's own and may well handle low light differently. The noise in this shot has a bit of a woolly character, not so well defined. Could well be down to the sensor. Having said that, Topaz Denoise AI sorts it out with a boost to colour noise reduction. Needs a little sharpening after that (I used High Pass to prevent the noise being sharpened any further) and the result looks improved without degrading the image. As you say, a bit of experimenting with your workflow is probably the answer but that's part of the fun. However, it's a very nice shot none the less (why would I expect anything else?).

Most reactions

Back