D50 or the D70 ?

alex sunny

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello,

As is true to my usual fashion, before I go back to school in September (hopefully as a new law student!) I want to spend a good chunk of the money I earned this summer as a present to myself.
Here's my question. I've been looking a lot at the Nikon D50 and D70 because I'd like to really get into photography. So:

1. Which do you think is better for a beginner photographer, but that has the space for me to grow with it as I become better? I want to have a camera that is user-friendly at the beginning, but allows to me to change things as I look for more of a challenge.

2. Any really good books out there on how to start out with one of these cameras that will slowly introduce me to concepts of professional photography?

thanks
alexsunny

what sort of budget are you looking at? both of those cameras are almost 20 years old now.

those cameras are almost identical and both having 6mp sensors. the D50 came out a year after the D70 and has a few slight improvements to ISO performance and dynamic range.

honestly though, your much better off getting something made at least in the last decade.

Either one would get you started but as pixmedic said, they're old. You would be buying glass for the future. Start out with the af-s 50 1.8 and see where it takes you. As far as books, the old John Hedgecoe books are a great tool, even if they're old. You tube can be a good resource.

I would recommend a Nikon D300 and a Nikon 50mm1.8g
Both used total 300.00 for the setup.
The D 300 is well built and a great entry level camera.
The 50 mm is a high sharpness well rated lens.
This is the outfit I would recommend to my family. Good.Luck. Ed

I have D50. A friend gave it to me. I use it in high risk situations. It is sturdy and very capable. Also, the ergonomics and layout are just like the pro grade Canon's of that era.

If these are the only choices and a D70 is affordable to you get it. It is two generations ahead of the D50.

However.

There are plenty of questions to ask to determine the right camera for you but I suggest looking at lenses that fit your budget as a more important starting point. A D50 with the right lens is better than a D70 with the wrong lens.

What is your budget? What types of things are you interested in capturing (landscape, portraits, macro, wildlife, architecture, etc)?

I would agree with the thought that cameras as old as the D50 and D70 are not your best bets, unless you budget requires you to stay under $100.00.

I started with a D50 over ten years ago, and it was used, then. It very quickly became not enough camera! However, wasn't getting into photography, I'd been shooting for years and years, I was converting to digital.

Before getting the D50, I'd borrowed a D70, but only used it one day, so couldn't really speak to the differences. What can say definitively, though, is while the D50 is a solid and rugged chassis, it's very limited resolution and light range (usable ISO) compared to newer cameras will leave a lot to be desired, and possibly even make you think something along the lines of, "Well, that was fun, but photography isn't for me," simply because of the shortcomings of the camera. You'd be better of finding someone who's been down that road, wanting to "get into photography," and decided their cell phone was a better tool for them, no they want to dump their camera on eBay or craigslist. Find one of Nikon's 4-digit cameras from the last 10 years or so (D3x00, D5x00, even D7x00.) Any of those will do more than the D50 or 70, not cost a whole lot more, and especially if you can find a D7000 or D7200, those work with a lot more of Nikon's legacy, non-AF lenses, because they can meter properly with those lenses, where the D3x00s and D5x00 can't.

Basically, the newer cameras will have higher resolution, but that's nowhere near as important as their better usable ISO range and better multi-point auto-focus systems. My D50 only had 5 focus points, my D7200 has 51. Now 51 seems like overkill until you want to shoot an airshow in continuous 3D tracking mode. 5 points simply can't cover the view!

The great thing about Nikon cameras is that they still mount the lenses. Unlike the other camera makers, Nikon did not change the basic mount when they went to auto-focus systems, so a nice lens from 1974 will mount on the newest digital SLRs, and except for the D3x00 and D5x00 cameras, will work in auto-exposure modes.

but that's nowhere near as important as their better usable ISO range

I agree. I have an R6 and never think about ISO now. But with the older crop sensors it is a significant limitation.

I also ended up with a T3i along the way. I think it is better than the D50 but not as durable. One can be had for about $100.

@alex sunny don't let folks like me confuse you. A good photographer can take excellent shots with average gear. Get started. Practice. Enjoy.

Why buy a 6.1mp camera when your smart phone with an 8mp sensor is probably a better camera? Look at buying a little more modern camera used at KEH.com I recommend a 24mp D7200 with a 18-140mm kit lens if you can find one.

Reactions: ntz
I recommend a 24mp D7200 with a 18-140mm kit lens if you can find one.

While the sensor in your phone may be better than a 12 year old DSLR's, it is the glass in front of it that really makes the difference. There is so much you can do with the combo you suggested that a phone simply cannot achieve.

I recommend a 24mp D7200 with a 18-140mm kit lens if you can find one.

While the sensor in your phone may be better than a 12 year old DSLR's, it is the glass in front of it that really makes the difference. There is so much you can do with the combo you suggested that a phone simply cannot achieve.

Agree for macro photography and wildlife / birding / sports. Modern smartphone cameras do fairly well with most everything else. The PP in camera is more and more impressive every year and the newest generation gives access to the raw files. The gap is closing, especially with 3 camera and 4 camera smartphones.

depends on budget .. everything has been said already .. I also suggest going APS-C if the budget is a concern ... FX lenses are much more expensive than DX counterparts .. you can buy some old junk for FX for a same price which could bring you otherwise very good lenses for DX .. also don't forget that lenses are really what matter .. camera body is usually much cheaper than your lens collection ... I've recently bought for my nephew used D5100 with 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses .. great combination for a good price ... has has now covered 18-200mm in very light package .. I'd suggest doing something like that ..

regards and good luck with finding good used camera

Most reactions

Back