What's new

D5000 vs D90

Jenn84

TPF Noob!
Joined
Nov 26, 2010
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Michigan
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone- another new person here with the question "which should I buy??" Here are my options.(both at walmart, i have a $200 gift card)

D90 with 18-105 len $799
or
D5000 with 18-55 AND 55-200 lens for $549

I have an N65 currently and have decided to do a little more with my photography even though I'm not really there yet, I need more practice, more reading, more practice. Im not planning on making a business out of it, just great photography for my family and friends. So...is it worth the extra $200 to get the D90 with one lens, or should I pay $200 less and get the D5000 with 2 lenses?

Edit: also, is it important for me to have the 18-55 AND the 55-200 lenses? I already have a quantaray 28-90mm from my N65.

thank you!!
 
Last edited:
I'd probaby go with the D90 and 18-105, it's a pretty solid combo and the D90 has the focus motor for AF lenses that don't have one (the common 50mm f/1.8D for example).

Image quality wise you will probably not tell a difference between the two.
 
I'd probaby go with the D90 and 18-105, it's a pretty solid combo and the D90 has the focus motor for AF lenses that don't have one (the common 50mm f/1.8D for example).

Image quality wise you will probably not tell a difference between the two.

okay so you think it's worth the extra $200? thank you! ordering tonight!:D
 
I think so...

Main things you gain:

Dual command dials
Focus motor
Top LCD
More buttons (vs going into menus)
Commander mode for off camera lighting
4.5 vs 3 shots per second (I think those are the numbers)

Eventually you'll want to upgrade to better lenses anyway (maybe/maybe not), with the 18-105 you'll have a nice walk around / travel lens without having to swap between the 18-55 and 55-200. 105mm to 200mm isn't as much difference as you might think.

Just so you know, I've owned and used both of these and they are both more than capable cameras for what you want. It's really a toss up if the extra options the D90 have aren't worth it to you.
 
Well being so new to this I do'nt know if those extra options are worth it or not but everyone I've asked seem to think they are so I'll just go with the D90 since it's in my budget. thank you so much again....and I hope you're not getting too much snow over there in MN!
 
I wish we were... mostly freezing rain. I don't mind snow, ice sucks. :D
 
that's the truth, I hate ice too...I hope it turns back to rain before it gets here!
 
I did it!! I just ordered my new camera! woo hoo!! I'm so excited!
 
Congrats, and have fun with it!
 
if you helf both in your hand you'd choose the d90. Far more solid. Not just nikon af-d lenses but 3rd party af an af-d as well! Could be a factor if you like macro and want a cheaper alternative.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom