D5100 sale price

Marc32

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I think I narrowed my choice to a Nikon D5100 and their 16-85mm lens to go with it. I thought I'd bypass the kit lens and put the $100 I'm saving toward the better lens. The 16-85 has been backordered for some time now, and since I was in no big rush to get the camera, I waited on the body only purchase. I'm hearing rumors now of a new version of that lens with a fixed f/4 aperture but as far as I know, its still just a rumor. Nikon filed the patient in Japan, but that was the last I heard, no word on a release date.

The real question is while I was on Amazon today, I noticed the price of the body only is down to $599. I've seen it on sale for $649 before, $100 off the regular body only price. Is the $599 price tag currently on it a great deal? Or has anyone ever seen it sell for less? I'm thinking I could order the body only and the 35mm or 50mm prime lens to start off. Once the 16-85 rolls back around, or the new version gets released, buy it at that time. The prime is a good lens to have, short money, and would at least give me something to start off with that's better than the kit lens.

I use the 18-55 3.5-5.6 kit lens. I know it doesn't get much respect here but, one stop down it does a good job.

Most reactions

Back