Lens Recommendation

Joe from So Cal

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm currently using a Nikon D600. I know there are more spectacular bodies out there today but this one does well. I get by with a 24-85 G. I used to carry around an F4s and F100 with f2.8 zooms and a heavy bag. No more.

I've never really used the movie feature on it other than learning how it worked.

I'll be traveling to Thailand again next year and I'm thinking of getting a D750 to use for movie grabs only. I was hoping for some lens recommendations for general street use. I don't plan on a youtube channel or anything, just tourist stuff. My in-laws take me to some interesting places, I'd like to expand just a bit.

Any other tips on street video would also be appreciated.

I hate it when someone ask a question about (a) and gets and answer for (b) but, I've owned a D750 and (imho) it is not a good choice for video. Any of the mirrorless offerings from Nikon, Canon, Sony, etc. do a better job than the D750. I personally use a Z50 with the kit 16-50 for video and it is more than I need.

I had a Nikon 18-140 that was a super walk around lens. Pretty much always 140mm was enough and it was small and light. Used an 18-105 before that and just not quite long enough for me but it to was small and light. Today I usw an 18-250 Tamron for most of what I shoot. pretty much long enough and small and light! That 2-85 would be a bit short for me but then I don't like to get to close the people. The 2.8 lense's might work but from what I've seen of them, you'll meed a porter to carry them around. If you fing something you think worthy of say a 70-200 2.8 lense you could always go back later with it.

Actually for carry around these days I'm using a point and shoot camera, presently A Panosonic Lumx with a 25-250 lense. Things I don't care for with this camera but seem's really well made and takes nice photo's. Just full of to many make your day sadder thing's I don't know how to use and Panosonic seem's to think everyone's a genius and can understand what they are talking about. But it does appear to be a well made camera! Had to go to the manual about something yesterday and found the button for it and even read some about it but haven't clue what they were talking about. Seeing what's in the new camera's I get the feeling the camera company's don't give a hoot about anyone but the really dedicaed photographer and the best pros. be nive if someone wrote a manual in english!

I had a Nikon 18-140 that was a super walk around lens. Pretty much always 140mm was enough and it was small and light. Used an 18-105 before that and just not quite long enough for me but it to was small and light. Today I usw an 18-250 Tamron for most of what I shoot. pretty much long enough and small and light! That 2-85 would be a bit short for me but then I don't like to get to close the people. The 2.8 lense's might work but from what I've seen of them, you'll meed a porter to carry them around. If you fing something you think worthy of say a 70-200 2.8 lense you could always go back later with it.

Actually for carry around these days I'm using a point and shoot camera, presently A Panosonic Lumx with a 25-250 lense. Things I don't care for with this camera but seem's really well made and takes nice photo's. Just full of to many make your day sadder thing's I don't know how to use and Panosonic seem's to think everyone's a genius and can understand what they are talking about. But it does appear to be a well made camera! Had to go to the manual about something yesterday and found the button for it and even read some about it but haven't clue what they were talking about. Seeing what's in the new camera's I get the feeling the camera company's don't give a hoot about anyone but the really dedicaed photographer and the best pros. be nive if someone wrote a manual in english!
I own the Nikon 18-140mm that came with my D7200. It is an excellent lens, but is a DX lens where, I believe, the D600 has a FF 24mp sensor.

I thought of a D 750 because reviews I've read say it does better than a D 600 and it won't break the bank. I'll take a look at the Z50 with short to midrange tele. Thanks to all who've answered here.

I'm currently using a Nikon D600. I know there are more spectacular bodies out there today but this one does well. I get by with a 24-85 G. I used to carry around an F4s and F100 with f2.8 zooms and a heavy bag. No more.

I've never really used the movie feature on it other than learning how it worked.

I'll be traveling to Thailand again next year and I'm thinking of getting a D750 to use for movie grabs only. I was hoping for some lens recommendations for general street use. I don't plan on a youtube channel or anything, just tourist stuff. My in-laws take me to some interesting places, I'd like to expand just a bit.

Any other tips on street video would also be appreciated.
If you want movie's get a movie camera. Movie camera's are made to take movie's with!

If you are just shooting "street vids" then consider a Cannon PowerShot. Shoots great video and the screen tilts up so you can hold it low, and it doesn't look like your taking candid shots of strangers.

Or consider just using a phone. If you are just shooting walking around video for fun.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back