D5100 vs D3100 Please Your Opinion

ryanita

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
First of all Sorry if this question is repost

I have 2 nikon camera d5100 and d3100, one of them I want to give to my best friend on his birthday. so I am confused as to provide that. I know they each have advantages.
Please give me your opinion
buy.gif

Nb.
I know There are several differences to consider when deciding whether to give one of them. The D3100 is more of a beginner DSLR and the D5100 is just a step before the semi-pro D7000.

They both have:

11 AF Points
No in-body focus motor
Video auto-focus
SDXC card compability
CLS compatibility, but no commander mode
Plastic bodies

If you need to pick one to keep, keep the 5100.

Just show them both to your friend and let him choose.

Do you want to keep the better body or give the better body to your friend? There is little question that the D5xxx series is better than the D3xxx series so I'm not sure I understand the question.

D5100 has a better sensor with wider dynamic range and a better processor, that will give you better low light performance and better image quality. D5100 will easily give you one more stop in low light. That's probably the main diference.
D5100 will give you twice more colors in RAW as it is 14-bit versus 3100 12-bit.
D5100 has 920K dot 3" swivel screen, D3100 has 230K dot 3" screen.
D5100 shoots 4 frames per sec in cont mode, d3100 shoots 3 frames per sec.
D5100 has and in-built HDR option unlike D3100
And there are lots of other smaller differences

So all in all D5100 is a much better camera.

5100 is a better camera than 3100 with more options.

Just really depends on which one you would rather give to him.

Nikon's entry-level cameras are in 2 tiers.

The D3xxx and D5xxx cameras do not have Nikon's auto focus motor/screw-drive system so they could be made smaller as a way to appeal to women DSLR buyers.
They also lack a top LCD and a second command wheel.

The D7xxx entry-level cameras are normal size and do have a top LCD, 2nd command wheel, and Nikon's auto focus motor/screw-drive system.

Currently Nikon is making just 1 prosumer (semi-pro) crop sensor (APS-C) camera - the D300s.

As others have pointed out, it depends upon whether or not you're going to give the "best" body to your friend. I'll make one other point: the D5100 with the articulated screen is a significant difference. I personally wouldn't like it--it's easy to snag or break. That said, I know someone who does a lot of nature macro photography (shooting ants and underneath leafs and so on). He loves this. There are times when you get down on your stomach for a shot and still can't see in the viewfinder...so this screen makes a huge difference. If you do macro a lot, than keep the D5100. Otherwise, it's about what kind of gift you want to give your friend.

If you're planning on upgrading to a D7100 or a 610 anytime soon, then give him the 5100. If not, keep the 5100, and let him wet his beak on the 31. My logic!

buy him a d800.

As others have pointed out, it depends upon whether or not you're going to give the "best" body to your friend. I'll make one other point: the D5100 with the articulated screen is a significant difference. I personally wouldn't like it--it's easy to snag or break. That said, I know someone who does a lot of nature macro photography (shooting ants and underneath leafs and so on). He loves this. There are times when you get down on your stomach for a shot and still can't see in the viewfinder...so this screen makes a huge difference. If you do macro a lot, than keep the D5100. Otherwise, it's about what kind of gift you want to give your friend.
I really impressed with D5100.

Most reactions

Back