D5100 Wireless battery grip

xj0hnx

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Has anyone tried this out yet?

Polaroid Wireless Performance Battery Grip for Nikon D5100 Digital SLR Camera

Wondering if it's truly wireless and maintains all controls without having to have the cable on the side. Looks good if so, just can't find any information beyond the lack luster description that is copy pasted on all the sites that list it.

PDPLGR18D51.jpg

Last edited:
I got one similar but for my d3100, firstly go on eBay a get a meike one for about $30, I have to use a cable to activate the shutter and I think you do with this one. Do nikon do a grip for the d5100? If not you will have to use a cable with any grips because nikon haven't put the connector needed. The cable really isn't to bad, it makes it so much better when shooting vertically.

Yea I know about the Amazon/Ebay ones with the cable, looking for someone that has experience with this particular model, and if it really is wireless. The other issue with the Amazon/Ebay versions is that some don't work on the D5100 with both batteries, if you turn it on with two batteries in them, you get an error, which is why I haven't bought one of those yet.

Mine has been fine with two batteries. And seeing as it is the same make and only slightly different design, the meike ones are alright.

If it's wireless it likely uses an optical infrared (IR) signal but they don't actually say so.

Mine has been fine with two batteries. And seeing as it is the same make and only slightly different design, the meike ones are alright.

I'm glad you like yours, and I have seen and read about the others like Meike, Bowers, Neewer, etc, but I am looking for information about the new Polaroid one, and whether it is really wiresless, and if it has the same issues with two batteries that the others seem to sporadically have.

If it's wireless it likely uses an optical infrared (IR) signal but they don't actually say so.

Yea, it's kind of weird that there is no real information about how it works.

What is supposed to be wireless about it?

The word "wireless" isn't even in the description anywhere...

It almost looks like 'wireless' is part of the brand name - a battery grip, made by "Polaroid Wireless Performance".

What is supposed to be wireless about it?

The other aftermarket grips use a cable between the grip and the camera to operate the shutter, or any other features the grip can control. The wireless would be that it operates the functions without the need for the cable.

The word "wireless" isn't even in the description anywhere...

It almost looks like 'wireless' is part of the brand name - a battery grip, made by "Polaroid Wireless Performance".

Except that in the description they put the part number inbetween Polaroid and wireless.

I emailed Adorama and their response was ...

Hi,
Per our representative with the manufacturer, the grip does not need a cable to operate the shutter.

Thank you for shopping with us we appreciate your business.

So I gues it doesn't need the cable. I am going to order it to confirm :)

The other aftermarket grips use a cable between the grip and the camera to operate the shutter, or any other features the grip can control. The wireless would be that it operates the functions without the need for the cable.
Mine doesn't use any kind of cable, all of the contact are on the part that goes up into the battery bay of the camera. It's on a D90 but since the D5100 is newer I would suspect they have everything done the same way.

Edit .. OK, I understand now. Nikon doesn't even MAKE a grip for that camera.

Last edited:
KmH said:

And to add to it, it usually doesn't AF. I have an aftermarket on mine and it's the same way. You would have to manually focus it.

I emailed Adorama and their response was ...

Hi,
Per our representative with the manufacturer, the grip does not need a cable to operate the shutter.

Thank you for shopping with us we appreciate your business.

So I gues it doesn't need the cable. I am going to order it to confirm :)

Hi, I am in same dilemma as you were. did you order it? If you have received, how is it going? Thanks

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
KmH said:

And to add to it, it usually doesn't AF. I have an aftermarket on mine and it's the same way. You would have to manually focus it.

In this case, it has AF if the cable is attached. Mine does.

Yea I know about the Amazon/Ebay ones with the cable, looking for someone that has experience with this particular model, and if it really is wireless. The other issue with the Amazon/Ebay versions is that some don't work on the D5100 with both batteries, if you turn it on with two batteries in them, you get an error, which is why I haven't bought one of those yet.

There is a trick for two aftermarket batteries to work. Insert the original first, then insert an aftermarket battery in the second slot. Remove the original and replace it with the other aftermarket battery. It works trust me. But do note that that is for the Neewer/Meike brand and similar models. The model with the included IR remote requires the original in the first slot. This grip is what I use.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back