D5300 - 18-300mm - Lowry Park Zoo - Tampa, FL

Parker219

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

Not looking for individual c&c per say, but if you see any photos that you think are worth editing to make a "final" product, please let me know.

This is also for anyone considering the D5300. All of these photos were taken with the 18-300mm dx lens. All the photos were taken in AUTO mode. I have not sharpened any of these in post at all.

Shots were taken in RAW- imported in to lightroom and mass edited with plus 10 to shadows, minus 10 on contrast, minus 20 on highlights, plus 10 on clarity, plus 20 on vibrance, plus 7 on saturation. Some might have been tweaked slightly from that, but the sharpness slider was NOT touched at all.

L-Zoo-134 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-120 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-110 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-93 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-87 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-83 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-70 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-64 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-57 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-34 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-31 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-27 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-15 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-1 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

L-Zoo-145 by linktheworld219, on Flickr

Great looking photos. Also interesting shooting in Auto mode.... That seems to be a curse word around here. Were you testing the results, or do you always shoot in Auto? They turned out great.

^ Mostly testing, since it was my first day out with the 18-300 lens. However I have found the auto with this setup pretty good. Especially since I can fix most errors in post, since im using raw.

Also I didn't have a need for any long exposures or any thing like that today.

I like the all except for the koala. It looks a little off to me. A little dark. Almost like the white banace was off. It may however just the lack of color compared to the others. Nice set though.

^ yeah it's shot through glass and has weird lighting.

Thanks for the comments.

For what its worth, I am very happy with the 18-300mm lens. For anyone thinking about getting a dx camera, if you get the kit 18-55 you will really miss the zoom if you are coming from a bridge camera that had a high zoom.

So, I say, don't even bother with the 18-55, just go with the 18-140 or the 18-300 right away.

For what its worth, I am very happy with the 18-300mm lens. For anyone thinking about getting a dx camera, if you get the kit 18-55 you will really miss the zoom if you are coming from a bridge camera that had a high zoom.

So, I say, don't even bother with the 18-55, just go with the 18-140 or the 18-300 right away.

Boy if they made a 2.8 version I'd be all over it. But then again the thing would probably be 5 feet long and weight 25-30 lbs.. so.. hmm.. lol.

^ True. Lol

I want to take this lens to a night concert, and im a little worried about the low light performance, since I will be bumping up the shutter speed.

Only one way to find out. Who knows maybe bumping up the ISO will work for night shots.

They look great. Nothing wrong with auto and superzooms for ccertain occasions.

entry level pics with entry level equipment ;P

Who knows maybe bumping up the ISO will work for night shots.

I think that is your best approach for that.

BTW: #10 needs a funny caption. I see that he has just unwrapped his new underwear, but was probably expecting something else.

^ Haha, yeah I think he was trying to give himself some shade. Here are some other quickies.

$L-Zoo-144.jpg$L-Zoo-43.jpg$L-Zoo-44.jpg$L-Zoo-76.jpg$L-Zoo-98.jpg

^ I don't take it as insulting because I know he is blunt and is used to full frame/ high end quality.

ENTRY level...not quite...the D5300 is not an ENTRY level camera. As far as ENTRY level pics, that is not a fact, its his opinion based on what he thinks in ENTRY.

So when he makes a comment that is wrong factually speaking ( by saying the D5300 in an ENTRY level camera ) then I don't put too much weight in to any other statements he says. :D

Most reactions

Back