D5600 and AF lenses & APO or not?

wiserwoman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I'm a total DSLR newbie and have just purchased a D5600. I am getting confused about what 70-300mm lens I can buy for it, which will also Autofocus.

I understand that AF is preferable and that the D5600 body does not have an AF motor but that doesn't matter if the lens does. Am I just overthinking things and it is simply a case of if the *lens* says it's 'AF ' - that the autofocus will work fine on the D5600 and I don't need to worry?

The general consensus seem to be that both Sigma and Tamron lenses are good quality 70-300mm lenses for budget users. Then there is the added issue of whether or not to go for the APO version of the Sigma or not?

Can someone please just tell me precisely which 70-300mm lens out of Tamron and Sigma would Autofocus with this body and whether its also worth getting the APO version of the Sigma?

If anyone has a good quality second-hand one for sale please also let me know. :)

Many thanks for any help in my newbie ignorance,

Melissa

If you are considering buying used, consider getting a genuine Nikon lens used. I'm not 100% sure but I think you need a AF-S version of a Nikon lens. I believe those are the ones with autofocus motor built into the lens.

I've had good luck buying used stuff from ebay and craigslist. Also keep your eyes open for estate sales.

You didn't mention if VR (vibration reduction) is important or not to you. I think most here would recommend it especially if you plan to use the 300mm end a lot. Unfortunately a VR version is more expensive.

I have a Tamron 300mm f/2.8 and it is a good lens. Just not as good as my Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8.

Many thanks for your reply. It sounds like the VR makes a significant difference - I will go and look at what's out there second hand compared to my budget for this!

I take it from what you say, that Nikkor perhaps are better built and hence have more longevity in them - so hence this could be a pitfall with buying a Sigma or Tamron secondhand? You rpoint is duly noted - thanks :)

All the best,
Melissa

I don't know what your budget is, but I have had serious doubt between the 70-300 af-p lens from Nikon for FX (full frame) or DX (crop, like your d5600).
I chose the FX, due to the fact I got an awesome deal on a used one.
But the DX version should be very close when It comes to overall quality and sharpness.
If I was you, check for a 70-300 af-p DX lens.

One important thing to know is that most of these lenses (tamron, sigma, nikon, etc...) Have the weakest point at 300mm. (And this is where you will use this lens the most!)
Mostly they are only at there best up to 220-230mm, after that it gets soft.
These af-p lenses from Nikon stand there ground, and I can honestly say with my FX version I get sharp results even at 300mm.
And in reviews I read the DX does the same.

And the 70-300 af-p DX is a newer lens from Nikon, but it comes at an awesome price/quality ratio.

Many thanks for your reply. It sounds like the VR makes a significant difference - I will go and look at what's out there second hand compared to my budget for this!

I take it from what you say, that Nikkor perhaps are better built and hence have more longevity in them - so hence this could be a pitfall with buying a Sigma or Tamron secondhand? You rpoint is duly noted - thanks :)

All the best,
Melissa

You're welcome.

Vibration reduction can make a difference with the biggest difference being when the shutter is on the slow side and you're zoomed to the max. But it isn't mandatory, it just helps at times.

I didn't mean to imply there are quality issues with Sigma or Tamron, I should have been more specific. What I really meant was there will be little chance of compatibility problems with a Nikon lens, this is not always a given with third-party lenses. A little research prior to buying something will go a long way as will the approach you are already taking by asking questions here.

Are you new to photography in general or just never had a DSLR before? What to you plan to photograph with the new lens once you get it?

Can someone please just tell me precisely which 70-300mm lens out of Tamron and Sigma would Autofocus with this body and whether its also worth getting the APO version of the Sigma?
Hello to you, too! Welcome!

Actually, neither of the ones you mentioned, but get this one:

Now pay close attention, because it is ONLY THIS ONE that you should get, and be mindful that Nikon has made about 7 different 70-300 lenses, but ONLY THIS ONE is worth getting.

Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g ED AF-S VR

(Seriously) Out of nearly two dozen lenses that I own, this one is the only one that didn't need any micro-adjusting with either of my two bodies. The focus is fast and accurate. I bought mine second-hand off eBay, and it was fine. You'll spend less money and get a better lens than either of the ones you mentioned.

Here's a link to the current listings:

nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g ed af-s vr | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Hello to you, too! Welcome!

Actually, neither of the ones you mentioned, but get this one:

Now pay close attention, because it is ONLY THIS ONE that you should get, and be mindful that Nikon has made about 7 different 70-300 lenses, but ONLY THIS ONE is worth getting.

Nikon Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g ED AF-S VR

(Seriously) Out of nearly two dozen lenses that I own, this one is the only one that didn't need any micro-adjusting with either of my two bodies. The focus is fast and accurate. I bought mine second-hand off eBay, and it was fine. You'll spend less money and get a better lens than either of the ones you mentioned.

Here's a link to the current listings:

nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6g ed af-s vr | eBay

Yes, or the newer DX af-p version, very small and sharp.
I'm not in the us market, but this looks like a fantastic deal;
https://www.adorama.com/nk70300afpvr.html

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks for the replies - I am actually in the UK and just realised this is an American based forum - doesnt matter though - we have Ebay too! ;-) Just off to look at the prices on both of those Nikkor recommended ones!

I am totally new to DSLR's !! I have an understanding of lenses through my use of telescopes which may help me a bit. I hope to be able to do some nature shots, landscape shots and i will also be hooking it up to my telescope to see what happens there. I wont get anything spectacular as I dont have an equatorial motorised mount for that but I will enjoy playing about with it!

Thanks,
Melissa

Thanks for the replies - I am actually in the UK and just realised this is an American based forum - doesnt matter though - we have Ebay too! ;-) Just off to look at the prices on both of those Nikkor recommended ones!

I am totally new to DSLR's !! I have an understanding of lenses through my use of telescopes which may help me a bit. I hope to be able to do some nature shots, landscape shots and i will also be hooking it up to my telescope to see what happens there. I wont get anything spectacular as I dont have an equatorial motorised mount for that but I will enjoy playing about with it!

Thanks,
Melissa
APOchromatic, ED in NIKKOR lingo, is well worth paying for.

The reason is that it focuses all the colors to the film/sensor plane ... which in turn reduces chromatic aberration, or color fringing, to an absolute minimum. as well as giving much better color saturation, higher contrast and better overall image detail.

I hope this helped.

All the best,
Melissa

You're welcome.

Vibration reduction can make a difference with the biggest difference being when the shutter is on the slow side and you're zoomed to the max. But it isn't mandatory, it just helps at times.

I didn't mean to imply there are quality issues with Sigma or Tamron, I should have been more specific. What I really meant was there will be little chance of compatibility problems with a Nikon lens, this is not always a given with third-party lenses. A little research prior to buying something will go a long way as will the approach you are already taking by asking questions here.

Are you new to photography in general or just never had a DSLR before? What to you plan to photograph with the new lens once you get it?
At the 300 end, actually past 150, VR is a nice feature ... especially for a beginner who has not learned good handholding skills yet. An alternative especially if one does much wildlife work, as a non VR with a good monopod.

All the best,
Melissa

You're welcome.

At the 300 end, actually past 150, VR is a nice feature ... especially for a beginner who has not learned good handholding skills yet. An alternative especially if one does much wildlife work, as a non VR with a good monopod.

Even if you are NOT a beginner, VR/Image Stabilization make life so much easier with long lenses.
I grew up on non-stabilized lenses, and now that I've used stabilized lenses, I won't willingly go back to a non-stabilized long lens.

All the best,
Melissa

You're welcome.

Even if you are NOT a beginner, VR/Image Stabilization make life so much easier with long lenses.
I grew up on non-stabilized lenses, and now that I've used stabilized lenses, I won't willingly go back to a non-stabilized long lens.

I agree on the long lens points.

VR has, sadly, became marketing flapdoodle in a lot of cases.

As an example, NIKKOR has a 10-20 zoom with VR, which IMHO does little more than up the price.

Most reactions

Back