D600 or D7100?

acparsons

Photo Hunter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Been looking at getting another body. Can decide whether to get a D600 or D7100, both seem very good for my price range. Looking for pros/cons from people that have used these cameras.

D600 has better dynamic range, better high ISO performance, better buffer and in my experience, faster more accurate focusing.

I own both and love them both.
Can't really think of any reason not to get either one.
If you decide on a d7100, I have a mint one for sale.

Is it me or this question cannot be answered without more details?

It depends on your current collection of lenses. If you have DX only lenses, the D7100 is the best choice, unless you are ready to spend money on FX lenses too. I have a D610, and really like it. It's by far a much better overall camera than the D7100.

When I got rid of my D7000 I could have went for either the D600 or D7100, I chose the D7100 awesome camera.
AF on it is just bullet proof and low light performance is impressive compared to other cropped sensor cameras but when it comes to low light the D600 is on a different league.
Today when I own a FF camera I must admit I cant see myself owning crop sensor anymore as an only camera.
So it depends what you looking for, the D7100 has a better AF system, the D600 should be better in everything else!
Just as an extra piece of info, the D600 used to have oil/dust issues on the sensor so if you can get the D610 which had this issue resolved then you are limiting the risk of owning such a lemon.
Nikon will fix the camera if you have an oil/dust issue on your D600 though.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I have already spent money on lenses hoping for an affordable full frame. Anyways, I have no problem using the crop mode on the D600 with DX lenses when needed and I'm keeping my D300 as a back up.
Thanks for the advice!!!

D600 is image quality (slightly), stronger (i.e. smaller) depth of field, lowlight
D7100 is range (1.5x factor to focal lengths) and autofocus performance

Beware of course of the sensor dirt problem of the D600.

As said might make more sense to go d610 over d600 If you go the full frame route

As said might make more sense to go d610 over d600 If you go the full frame route

If you want to spend more money on a quieter continuous shutter, sure.

^^^ to be fair Braineack, you may have been lucky with yours, but for most the risk of buying a camera where a company reluctantly provided a fix to a bad component would be to much. Its not just a rumour, loads of these cameras had issues, sure the d610 is almost identical, except it has a proper pat installed from day 1

I had a d7000. I thought long and hard when I upgraded between the d7100 and d600. I chose the d600 and it's been great ever since.
I never had a AF issue with my d7000 and it was considered the best low light crop camera out there at the time, great AF, etc.

But I love the low light ability of the d600. You just cannot compare a crop to a good FF. As the crops have gotten better at low light, guess what .. so have the FFs. Now the Canons are different of course .. here's a list of low light sensitivity numbers ==> dxoMark Nikon ISO numbers Photography Forum

My d600 has some oil issues initially - I bought it refurbed from Cameta for only a couple hundred more than a new body only d7100. I was hoping that it was spew out some oil then I would get a free upgrade to a d610, but that's hasn't happened yey. It does have a foreever warranty on it. So if the 610 is replaced with a 620 and my d600 starts causing problems .. well, I hope for whatever is the newest in the line.

The only thing about the d600 I wish was better was the Focus Points. In sports I really would like to have a taller and wider focus point area. I've virtually stopped using my d7000 for about anything except video. Even kids field trips I take the d600 w/o grip as the low light is far superior and most of the time we're indoors for kids trips.

I should add, when I first bought my d7000 I bought it as a kit with a 18-105. That is the ONLY DX lens I own. All my other lenses were FX lenses as I wanted f/2.8 or faster lenses and I suspected I wanted FF sooner or later.

That made the decision even easier.

There's great quality old glass out there, which the d7000/7100 and higher will AF on - all the screw focus AF/AF-D lenses out there. Right there makes it so much more affordable than going the d5x00 route with no in-body motor.

Go with the Nikon D610 if you can swing it. I believe its $1500 for the body, and you can pick up some used good quality FX glass to go with it if you're on a budget, and aren't risking the issues with the D600. You can be under $2000 with a solid camera and lens.
I shoot with a friend who has a crop sensor Canon and he is always commenting on how jealous he is with my full frame and super wide angle lens (18-35mm)

a used D600 is $850-1000 from any reputable dealer. Send to nikon for a free shutter replacement and cleaning if it hasn't been performed. And you can pick up some more used good quality FX glass to go with it with that extra $500-700.

you can be at $2000 with a solid camera and solid 24-70 2.8.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back