D610 or D750

I'm not trying to discount that the D750 isn't a great camera itself, but the D610 is a different class. It's a great camera stuffed with an older AF module and image processor and thusly priced at a lower price point--it's as simple as that.

It's the same way the D3300 and D5500 are basically the same camera but one has the 11pt AF module vs. 39pt and articulating screen. Oddly enough, they are priced 33% apart!

Last edited:
You all have pointed out some very good things about the two cameras and I thank you very much for your replies.

Please let me add one more thing. I was talking with a person yesterday that owns a 750 and he told me you can use dx lenses. I asked him what the difference was in the images using the dx lens and he told me none you can readily see. This is something I haven't heard before, is he nuts?

You all have pointed out some very good things about the two cameras and I thank you very much for your replies.

Please let me add one more thing. I was talking with a person yesterday that owns a 750 and he told me you can use dx lenses. I asked him what the difference was in the images using the dx lens and he told me none you can readily see. This is something I haven't heard before, is he nuts?
No he's not nuts! As far as I know, most Full frame cameras can take a DX lens, and it goes into crop mode. What that means is you loose some image resolution, any loss of image quality probably has more to do with the lens optics than anything else. I am sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong somewhere.

You can use DX lenses on any FX camera bodies, such as the D610 and D750. While they'll work, they give you a crop that's often maybe not worth it. Using FX with a DX crop on a 24MP sensor, you're looking at roughly a 10MP DX image, if I remember right.

"raj_555" and "raventepes" are correct you can use DX lenses on FX camera but you loose a lot of resolution, its like asking can I buy a Mercedes S class and stick a 1.6L 4 cylinder engine in it.
Yes you can but why ?
Puting a motor which is obviously not designed for such a heavy high end car.
Same with camera, yes it will work but it will loose some of the FX advantages.

I hope you will make up your mind fast which camera you want to buy before we will start a Nikon battle here LOL
D610 vs D750 both good cameras, lots of people would love to own either, the fact you in a position to choose which one is already putting you in a very lucky spot, you really cant go wrong either way.
Same image quality
Roughly same low light performance till 6400ISO and the D750 has advantage over that
D750 has better AF and the newer processor which means better metering system
For landscaping the D750 advanatge is not coming to effect, for other things it does.

So what will it be ?

You'll want a nice wide angle lens for shooting landscapes, so why not get the D610 and put that $500 difference toward say a 18-35G? Just a thought.

You mean with that 20% he saved he could buy a lens that's 30% the value of the camera body and his net cost at 100% the D750.

You mean with that 20% he saved he could buy a lens that's 30% the value of the camera body and his net cost at 100% the D750.
Wait let me get the calculator, you lost me at the 30% :1219:

are you considering used? or only new? if your going to consider a D610 to save $500 to put towards glass, and you are open to buying used, I would recommend you get a used D600 (<$1000) and have extra money towards a good wide angle lens.

Oh this recommendation for a d600 is one I'd approach carefully. No way I'd buy a camera with a known fault that was indirectly replaced by it's maker after a very short half life

Oh this recommendation for a d600 is one I'd approach carefully. No way I'd buy a camera with a known fault that was indirectly replaced by it's maker after a very short half life

except that nikon will replace your shutter. for free. no questions asked.
you basically get a camera with almost ZERO shutter actuations for the price of a used camera.
win/win to me.

in fact, thats the biggest reason i went with the D600 instead of a D610. much cheaper, free repair IF i even need it.
Two D600's later, still no oil spots, and no worries if any appear because i know it will be a free fix.

except that nikon will replace your shutter. for free. no questions asked.
you basically get a camera with almost ZERO shutter actuations for the price of a used camera.
win/win to me.

in fact, thats the biggest reason i went with the D600 instead of a D610. much cheaper, free repair IF i even need it.
Two D600's later, still no oil spots, and no worries if any appear because i know it will be a free fix.

I'm glad all is good for you with this. I think Braineack has had the same experience. I still wouldn't chance it. Maybe it's because I know that if something goes wrong I have to send it to a Nikon repair station, but as far as I am aware there isn't one in Ireland, so I got to send it overseas for repair.

Give me the one without the known problem please

it's not a chance--they will replace the shutter for free, and if you still have an issue after service, they will send you a brand spanking new D610.

D600s are an incredible value on the used market right now. Coupled with the fact that you can replace the entire shutter assembly and essentially have a brand new camera as is, tripled with the insurance that you'll get a new one if any shutter problems continue, is a no brainer to me.

@MOREGONE just recently acquired his free D610.

but yes, in your situation where its more difficult to send the camera off for service might make you consider other options.

It's a $500 difference. You buy cameras in absolute dollars, not percentages.
I always hate when salespeople try to pull this crap.

Or the, "Oh, it's only XX dollars more." I always ask if they'll loan me the extra money to pay for it. They say no, then I say, "Well, it's only XX dollars, why not?" It usually gets the salesperson to stop bugging me, haha.

Most reactions

Back