D700 coming soon...what's the most important thing to know?

cannpope

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am expecting a D700 by the end of this week. I had a D7000 prior. For all those who have and do own a D700, what is the most important piece of info that you can give me going from DX to FX. Any quirks that I should know about? THANKS!

The only quirks you need to know about are the fact that the camera will expose images the same way your D7000 did, except with a larger sensor.

Any DX lenses you have will only use the central 5.2 MP of the image sensor, unless you read in the user's manual how to turn off the auto DX lens detect feature.

DOF will be more narrow at the same aperture, which can make focus more critical when shooting wide open.

The reason for the more narrow dof is that you will either be using longer focal lengths or shorter shooting distances to achieve the same composition as before, both of these narrow the dof.

I am expecting a D700 by the end of this week. I had a D7000 prior. For all those who have and do own a D700, what is the most important piece of info that you can give me going from DX to FX. Any quirks that I should know about? THANKS!

I went D7000 to D700.

1st thing you'll notice is build quality BETTER

Next you'll notice controls, buttons, menu's are too simple

Next you'll notice it focuses SO MUCH FASTER you'll wonder "is it focusing" then you remember green light you see means go

At this point you will thank yourself over and over

Then you'll notice how much closer you can get and better depth of field at same focal lengths of your 70-200 VRII @ 20mm portrait and body shots, you don't even have to back up all the way across your backyard to shoot the pretty girls.

Then you'll notice it just works better.

Congrats.

No one will know what camera you used when they look at your photos.

No one will know what camera you used when they look at your photos.

Just strip the EXIF data and tell everyone you are shooting with a GE P&S or something. They will be like "damn, you've got skills!!!" :lol:

Start buying boxers and lose the briefs. Your nuts will start to swell. :biggrin:

The above responses cover a lot of what you should expect. I'd like to add that you should read the manual sooner rather than later. The the camera has a lot of different features, some of which are not immediately understood with the first read.

I'd say the first you do is to change your login name, it does have the word "canon" in it. ;)

Kidding aside, you should check your lens collection. Sell all your DX lens and get some high quality zoom or prime lens such as 14-24, 24-70, 70-200, or 85 1.4. Get rid of the Nikon carrying strap, you don't want the whole world to know you are using a Nikon D700. You will like the camera. Have fun!

i got mine several months ago, went from a d80 to the d700 AMAZING. shooting indoor sports at 6400 ISO is incredible. Do read your manual. Do not use the D700 strap - purchase a personal articles insurance policy (rather cheap and it insures your equipment from theft; fire; drops - anything_ got mine thru State Farm
Invest in FX lenses if not your image will be 1/2 the pixels.
Best way to describe the diffrence is when the news people went to HD (they had ALLLL their details captured) - pretyy much the same

ENJOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More chicks will throw themselves at you at fancy parties.

Most reactions

Back