D700, D7000 or D300s?

LittleMiss

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am purchasing my second body in the next few weeks and am trying to figure out if I want to upgrade to FX this year or stick with DX for the time. I only have 2 lenses, the 50mm and the crappy 18-55 kit lens.

I already own a D90 and that will become my backup camera. I will more than likely be purchasing a used camera from a local photo store, but I am not settled on which body I would like to have. Should I spend all money on the D700 or save a bit and buy a D7000 or D300s? If I bought the D700, I would just rent lenses when I needed them and purchase once I got the funds. The other 2 cameras, I could probably afford a new lens. I will probably have about $3000 to spend. I also need to purchase a new flash since mine took a swim, and some little accessories like an umbrella, softbox and strobe.

I mainly shoot weddings and portraits but also a lot of macro and landscape/night shots in the off time.

Any recommendations would be great :)

Hmm. You shoot weddings..with a 18-55 and 50/1.8 on a D90, with no flash? This seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Why not spend the money on some good glass, and get some good use out of your D90 before upgrading? What I mean is, what is your D90 not doing for you that you need another, better, body?

Mark

Sounds like the entire $3k should go to lenses not a body. What good is a D700 with the s#ittiest lens out there? You're going to spend nearly as much on a SINGLE FX lens as you will the body. The D90 is a solid body for DX and anything else will look just as bad with the glass you have in front of it.

EDIT:
Hmm. You shoot weddings..with a 18-55 and 50/1.8 on a D90, with no flash?

Holy crap I didn't even see that.
th_facepalm4.gif

Hmm. You shoot weddings..with a 18-55 and 50/1.8 on a D90, with no flash? This seems like a bit of a stretch to me. Why not spend the money on some good glass, and get some good use out of your D90 before upgrading? What I mean is, what is your D90 not doing for you that you need another, better, body?

Mark

+1

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

Well I did happen to say my flash took a swim, didn't I? I had the SB-700 before a dogs tails whacked it into the lake just before Christmas lol.

I also thought I mentioned I rent lenses? Guess I worded it wrong. The 18-55 and 50mm are the two I actually own. I rarely use the 18-55 anymore. I rent the 24-70 and 85mm, usually. But I have rented the 70-200 as well.

I have had my D90 for well over 2 years and I need that second body for weddings as I don't generally shoot with just one lens. I rented the D7000 over the fall and it was a decent camera but I have been eyeing D700. The D300s was just getting thrown in as an option. I can rent lenses, fine. There is a shop across the lake I am good friends with the owner, I get a decent deal on 2 day rentals.

In that case, a D700 and an SB800. Used, you can pick up both for around $2500 or so. The other $500 you can pick up a decent strobe/lightstand/modifier.

I would still buy one of the lenses I was planning to use for something as important as a wedding. I don't know how many times you've rented the 24-70mm but it doesn't take a large number of times before you could have just bought it yourself. Regardless, by only renting it for 2 days at a time right at your event, you're not really getting to take advantage of getting to know it and really practicing with it and becoming comfortable with it.

I would still buy one of the lenses I was planning to use for something as important as a wedding. I don't know how many times you've rented the 24-70mm but it doesn't take a large number of times before you could have just bought it yourself. Regardless, by only renting it for 2 days at a time right at your event, you're not really getting to take advantage of getting to know it and really practicing with it and becoming comfortable with it.

Yup, eventually it will equal out where purchase of the lens would have been more economical... But it takes awhile depending on how often it's rented and the price of course. I rent lenses to try before I buy them.

Can you rent a FX body?

Get the glass before you get a new body. I had a D7000 and two FX lenses and only one DX lens, so it made sense for me to upgrade to FX. Got rid of the d7000 and the DX lens and picked up the d700. If you shoot a lot of events, continually renting lenses can add up to big $$. Basically...GET GOOD FX GLASS 1st.

I agree to get the fast FX glass first, but once you do that run out the door and get the 700. It's amazing. I was singing the 7000's praises until I tried the 700. It BLOWS it out of the water - especially for low light situations. Just WOW.

I agree to get the fast FX glass first, but once you do that run out the door and get the 700. It's amazing. I was singing the 7000's praises until I tried the 700. It BLOWS it out of the water - especially for low light situations. Just WOW.

+1 x infinity. I sold my D7000 immediately after a few shots with the D700

You only have two lens for wedding?

I didn't know the D90 has a "wedding scene" mode:p

Anyways, jokes aside, I'd recommend D300s (or which ever replacement that may appear later). You can use the remainder money towards a good lens.

Most reactions

Back