D700 or 17-55 2.8?

Josh220

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have decided that my 24-70 is a bit restricting on my D300. I just got back from Hawaii, and I found myself only using my 18-200 and 12-24. I had always planned on going to a full frame body, hence why I purchased the 24-70. I am now wondering whether I should go ahead and upgrade to a D700, and replace my DX wide angle as well, or if I should just sell off the 24-70 and get a 17-55.

Obviously going to FX is what is usually the goal, however I am wondering if it's worth the $2400 for the D700 and the $1800 for the 14-24 rather than just switching for the 17-55.

The higher ISO performance would have come in very handy at the luau but shooting in low lighting is not something I do often.

D700 + 14-24 + 24-70 or D300 + 12-24 + 17-55? (I know, the choice seems obvious. I'm just looking for some outside feedback).

I fail to see why you can't keep what you have. You say that FX is the goal, yet you are considering a VERY expensive DX lens. You find the 24-70 restricting, but you have a 12-24, and also an 18-200. Granted they are not as fast as the 17-55, but it covers the range. Would you miss the focal lengths more or the speed? That's something only you can decide. I say just wait it out until you are sure you want the D700. And perhaps in the meantime build up some FX lenses, starting with the 50mm 1.8, which is a necessity.

I fail to see why you can't keep what you have. You say that FX is the goal, yet you are considering a VERY expensive DX lens. You find the 24-70 restricting, but you have a 12-24, and also an 18-200. Granted they are not as fast as the 17-55, but it covers the range. Would you miss the focal lengths more or the speed? That's something only you can decide. I say just wait it out until you are sure you want the D700. And perhaps in the meantime build up some FX lenses, starting with the 50mm 1.8, which is a necessity.

I am assessing what I need to do to make the 24-70 usable. Right now, I hardly use it at all (due to focal range, not speed). My original plan was to get the 70-200 before I upgraded to FX but I rented it and didn't have the urge to own it. I cannot upgrade to a wide angle FX lens until I get the FX body because it would not benefit me on a DX body. The 14-24 or 17-35 are the two that I will choose between. Both of which are not very wide on a DX sensor.

So alas, I must decide whether I want to upgrade to FX now, or alter my lens plans. I don't want my 24-70 collecting dust, but I need that sharp mid-range zoom.

I got the 35mm 1.8 while I am still on DX because it is sharper than the 50mm 1.8. When I do go to FX I'll get the 50mm 1.4 which is sharper than both of the 1.8 lenses. I'll be keeping my D300 as a backup body so my DX lenses will still have use.

I feel limited by my current setup, so I feel it is time to upgrade or change to better fit how my style has evolved.

With what you just said, you're kinda stuck having to buy something. I guess you need to think about how much you'll lust after an FX body after getting the 17-55 compared to buying an FX body and then having it depreciate in value, especially once a new model comes out. Just something you have to decide. Sure would be a pity to have the 24-70 just sitting around and having to buy the 17-55. I'd lean towards the D700 if it were me.

There's also the option of getting a Sigma 18-50 2.8 for the D300. I have one for my D40. There are times I still miss using it. If I recall, it did pretty well against the Nikon 17-55.

Thanks for the info. I prefer to stick with Nikon glass though.

I think I am going to end up getting the D700 sooner than expected. I don't want to back track and buy more DX glass.

Then the only lens I will need to replace is my wide angle with either the 14-24 or the 17-35. I wish Nikon would come out with a new version of the 17-35, as it is very old. The ability to use filters is almost a necessity on a landscape lens for me though.

Thanks again, discussing it always helps me realize things that seem obvious in hindsight.

EDIT: The 16-35 may be it's replacement, though it is not a magnesium body and it is f/4 instead of 2.8.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I prefer to stick with Nikon glass though.

I think I am going to end up getting the D700 sooner than expected. I don't want to back track and buy more DX glass.

Then the only lens I will need to replace is my wide angle with either the 14-24 or the 17-35. I wish Nikon would come out with a new version of the 17-35, as it is very old. The ability to use filters is almost a necessity on a landscape lens for me though.

Thanks again, discussing it always helps me realize things that seem obvious in hindsight.

EDIT: The 16-35 may be it's replacement, though it is not a magnesium body and it is f/4 instead of 2.8.

id recommend a 15 or 17mm prime manual focus nikkor as your ultra wide for the d700. it would compliment your 24-70mm nicely, and for less $$.

I actually decided to get the new 16-35. On my D300 it will be just as wide as the 24-70 on a D700 (and even sharper). That way I can wait on the D700 until it gets upgraded which was my initial plan. When it comes out, I will already have my FX ultra-wide.

The 16-35 is an impressive lens. It's sharper than the older 17-55. It's not even close in comparison and it even beats the 24-70 considerably. The only lens that beats it is the 14-24, which is (slightly) sharper in the corners than the 16-35. However, one benefit does not outweigh it's disadvantages (much heavier/bulkier, no filters, quite a bit more expensive, etc).

Glad you resolved your problem.

Just a note... The D700 high ISO turns your F/4 into a fast F2.8 lens. Not technically but you know what I mean. Also, you can actually use your 12-24 f/4 on an FX sensor from about 19-24mm with great result.

Go for the D700 man, you wont regret it! =)

Thanks guys. Definitely going for it. I will give it a little more time to see if they release any info on the D700s, but I don't want to wait too long. I want to use my 24-70 at its full potential. The 16-35 should help hold me over :D

Get the D700, I heard nothing but good from it and the jaw dropping high iso performance and low light AF.

What you can do is sell off all your DX gear.

Sell off the D300 - $1000ish
Sell off the 12-24 - $650ish
sell off the 35 1.8 - $150ish
sell off the 18-200 - $500ish

so that leaves you with $2300 more or less by selling off what wouldn't really work with the D700.

You can get yourself the D700 for that and get the 16-35 VR for your wide stuff. all you'd really be out is about $1300ish.

What you can do is sell off all your DX gear.

Sell off the D300 - $1000ish
Sell off the 12-24 - $650ish
sell off the 35 1.8 - $150ish
sell off the 18-200 - $500ish

so that leaves you with $2300 more or less by selling off what wouldn't really work with the D700.

You can get yourself the D700 for that and get the 16-35 VR for your wide stuff. all you'd really be out is about $1300ish.

Sounds like a good plan. Although I have not decided if I want to part with my D300 and 18-200 yet.

Do you mind posting where you buy your gear so I can buy their stock?;)

Not a bad thing but I think you set a record for changing bodies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back