D700 or D3?

tevo

Recovering TPF Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking to buy a second camera body, for a few reasons. I have a bad case of the full frame itch, so the acquisition of a full frame digital body was/is inevitable. I work as a sports photographer full time (as full time as a high school / college sports photographer can be, at any rate) so a new camera would be a workhorse for me. A second body would also be very advantageous for indoor sports, as it would allow me to carry both a zoom and a wide angle without having to stop and switch lenses. I am considering spending the extra money on a used D3 (~$2100) because the low light performance is excellent, and the quality of the body is very nice. However, I realize the advantage of shooting sports with my D7000, that being with the crop sensor I hit the sweet spot of my lenses and get in a bit tighter at any given focal length. For this reason, I have also considered the D700 (~$1500) as my camera body for everything besides sports, leaving the D7000 as my work body. The advantage of having the D3 would be that for scenarios where I need better low light performance than that extra tightness with the crop sensor, I would have it; for scenarios where a crop body would be advantageous, I have the D7000. Then again, this would also be true of the D700, although I'm not sure how the low light performance would compare to the D3 / my D7000. Is the D3 worth the extra money, or would the D700 cut it?

The D3 and D700 supposedly have the same sensor. Either would meet your needs. I've been thinking about both of them myself. I'm leaning towards the D700 because of the price and the built-in sensor cleaner, which the d3 doesn't have. Plus I already have the battery grip that fits it (same as my d300), which would increase the FPS rate if that matters to you..

I would keep the D7k and pick up the D3. D7k is a great all around camera and a D3 seems like it would satisfy your low light needs and your full frame itch! Can't blame you for the full frame itch, I can empathize...

The D3 and D700 supposedly have the same sensor. Either would meet your needs. I've been thinking about both of them myself. I'm leaning towards the D700 because of the price and the built-in sensor cleaner, which the d3 doesn't have. Plus I already have the battery grip that fits it (same as my d300), which would increase the FPS rate if that matters to you..

Yes, the D700 with the grip is very tempting. However, from what I have read the AF system on the D3 is superior, which would make much more sense for sports.

If sports is your schtick, than get the D3. No question.

Tevo,

D700/D3 pretty much of a wash image wise. Handling might be a bit faster on the D3. However the D700 with grip is no turtle! Body of D3 would be tougher. I don't get your comment about the D3 being better for you because you shoot sports, have you not decided that the D7000 is going to be your working camera?

Why don't you save up a bit more and get the speed freak/high iso king/brick solid D3s? These are available second hand pretty often.

The D700 and the D3 use the same Nikon Multi-CAM 3500FX autofocus module.

Look at the specifications for each camera.

Tevo,

D700/D3 pretty much of a wash image wise. Handling might be a bit faster on the D3. However the D700 with grip is no turtle! Body of D3 would be tougher. I don't get your comment about the D3 being better for you because you shoot sports, have you not decided that the D7000 is going to be your working camera?

Why don't you save up a bit more and get the speed freak/high iso king/brick solid D3s? These are available second hand pretty often.

Pardon my American-ness, by a wash do you mean they are roughly the same? If so, how would they compare to my D7000?

The D3 would be better for me concerning sports because it is rated for more actuations, and performs much better in low light. However, in outdoor sports scenarios where light is more plentiful or I need a bit more reach, I would still have the D7000 to use.

D3 and D700 have the same ISO performance. The d3s has a different sensor and has better high ISO. Your D7000 is no underachiever in this department either.

If it's a choice between D3 (Not D3s) and D700, maybe the D700 with a MB-D10 would be the less expensive choice with nearly the same performance. Leaves some cash for accessories or lenses.

Anyway you go, hope you make a choice that is right for you and that you enjoy your camera.

I have a D700 with the grip and it is more than satisfactory for BIF action with the increased fps.

Good Luck!

d700 is a little bit out of date, what not prefer d800 instead?

If I had to pick between the two with the same considerations I'd pick up the D700 because its got virtually the same sensor as the D3 with the same AF and it is lighter.

I'm also thinking it would be nice on the end of a telescope.

Patrice said:
No 1 reason for the OP: Budget

No 2 reason: The OP asked about D3 and D700. D800 is not in consideration.

No 3 reason: D700 is still a very fine instrument for taking images.

I would have to agree. The D700 is not that old...if you were to change out cameras every couple of years you would go broke! For a pro who uses it on a constant bases, that is a different story! The D700 is a great camera!

Most reactions

Back