D700 vs. D7000

Funny how different sites have different info...this one says the D7000 clearly wins over the D700...hmmmmm

Nikon D700 vs D7000

Some people are silly. Heck, Ken Rockwell gets millions of hits on his website but his advice is still silly.

There simply is no comparison between the D700 and the D7000. They are both DSLR's and they are both made by Nikon. After that, the similarities pretty much stop. The D7000 isn't even in the same ballpark.

The thing you have to keep in mind, like mentioned further down the page, are pros looking for Ken's advice? Or is it the consumer that doesn't know the difference himself?

If you're checking Ken's page trying to figure out what is different between he two and which is right for you, you just don't need the D700

nikon 7000 beats out the nikon 700

You may or may not know that Ken Rockwell many times never touches the equipment he reviews. So I would take his comments with a grain of salt.

If you can not afford the D3s or x plus the "holy trinity" of lens (14-24, 24-70, 70-200) then get the D7000.
For your use it will be a lot better than a D300 or D90.
Most of the time the image quality is better than a D700 and the ISO nearly equal.
It is also lighter and more affordable.
All your lens will work on it.

Go to the camera store with your own flash card.
Get "Hands ON"
Compare the images to your D80.
If they don't blow you away, keep your camera and get some better glass instead.

If only the D7000 had a full size image sensor.

Actually, in independent testing the D700's high ISO performance is significantly better than the D7000's high ISO performance. Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forum FAQ

The D800(?) launch is overdue because of all the natural disasters that have hammered Nikon in the last year.

But the D7000 does perform better than the about to be replaced D300 (D400?) and the D90 which will soon be discontinued. The D7000 is in effect the D90 replacement.

If only the D7000 had a full size image sensor.
Actually, in independent testing the D700's high ISO performance is significantly better than the D7000's high ISO performance. Photography Forum & Digital Photography Forum FAQ Quote<

Tell us all the spec you want. I have used both sensors.
The images I get with the D7000 at ISO 6400 are better for "My use".

And, I am not saying the D700 is not the better camera overall, it ought to be for the price.

>QuoteThe D800(?) launch is overdue because of all the natural disasters that have hammered Nikon in the last year.Quote<

That Sensor may give even better High ISO images.
I will need "Hands On" before I can give my opinion.
At this point, I expect the D4 to be the best camera.

Last edited:
Too bad that the D800 is suspected to be released with a 36Mpix FF sensor. I don't know what Nikon is planning but this... doesn't sound nothing like good news. The D700 produces such good images because the pixels are quite bit so they handle the noise better. Now... it will be 3x the density, something compared to today's D7000. My guess is that for few years Nikon provided us with one of the best cameras for journalists, but this series will be more studio - friendly, something like the D3x being mostly used for studio shooting.

Not 100% sure info.

Too bad that the D800 is suspected to be released with a 36Mpix FF sensor. it will be 3x the density, something compared to today's D7000.

Yes, but it will still be a FullFrame Sensor.
I expect that with an Expeed 3 Processor or two and with all the more advanced technology than the D3s and V1 that the High ISO performance will exceed the D700.
Of course, I will not know great this camera might be for my use until I actually get "Hands ON".

Most reactions

Back