D7000 auto focus points

xpurpleblob

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So when I am using my camera only a single point of focus shows up for use? (Well that's what it says in the viewfinder and in the info screen.)
How can I make the camera use more focus points, I already tried switching the af modes to ada, afc,etc

For example in auto mode, before taking the picture the little square(s) in the view finder do not show up and when I proceed to shoot, more squares would show up sometimes and then the picture is taken. However in the manual and S and A modes the little square always remains on the view finder and more focusing squares do not show up. I can only change the position manually.

Last edited:
a question i have is even though I pick 39 af points, it only shows one focus point on the view finder?

a question i have is even though I pick 39 af points, it only shows one focus point on the view finder?

Did you read the 10 page PDF linked above?? Your answer and so much more is in there.

It's only using one initial AF point and that's the one it shows in the VF. AFAIK in auto it's using multiple points to give it's best guess as to where to focus, in any of the manual settings you define where the initial focus point is so you only need to see that one.

Last edited:
exactly, having 39 focus points does not mean it will focus on all 39 at the same time (i'd love to see a lens that could manage that :) )
it will only ever focus on 1 point, it may take this point as an average from various other points, or purely from that 1 selected point depending on what you set. the idea of having 39 points is there are more places in the viewfinder for the focus to choose from, Imagine only having 3 focus points, the AF can either be focussed from the left, the right, or in the middle. with 39 it has a more concentrated grid of the viewfinder with which to select.
seriously..read the PDF, it won't just answer your initial question, it will help you understand the whole AF system on the D7000, and probably answer any future questions you may have. :)

Useful that, cleared up some stuff I was hazy on. Thanks for posting it. :)

I stumbled across it while looking for an easy explanation to the OP's question (was too lazy to type it lol) but yes it does explain the whole AF system very clearly.
I have no idea who composed it, but the idea was just that, as he (or she) explains the user manual is very scattered and unclear about certain aspects of the system, Here it is all laid out and explained in simple terms.

Thanks for finding and posting this very informative link.

BTW is the phrase "most unique" correct usage? I understood that something is either unique or not. There is no comparative use of unique. Most, more or very unique are incorrect.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back