D7000, D3100 are now official!

They didn't take the D40 off their web site until they launched the D3100.

So figure the D90 will remain until they launch the D400.

Specification wise, it seems the D7000 is better than the 60D from Canon. If I am starting from ground zero again and want to pick a nice DX camera, I will take a serious look at the D7000. Magnesium body with 39 AF points .... I like that!

Well, yeah, it is: Canon has taken the 60D a bit down-market, and has made a Super Rebel out of it, which is a step in the wrong direction according to many 40D and 50D owners; the Nikon D7000 is aimed at being a higher-specified camera than the D90 it will replace, with a much more-capable AF system than the D90 had (it had 11-area AF, the D700 has 11,21,and 39 point AF capabilities), and a new speedlight the D700 as an option. WIth all the 7's, D7000 and SB 700, I think Nikon is trying to make people see that the D7000 is a possible buying choice against the Canon 7D.

The Canon 7D versus the lower-priced Nikon D7000...a lot of buyers will look at the lower price of the Nikon, and its good build quality and "feel" and think it feels good. Nikon will probably update the D300s to a D400 which will blow the 7D away performance wise, and the leapfrogging will continue when Canon releases the 7D Mark II,and so on,ad nauseum...

Specification wise, it seems the D7000 is better than the 60D from Canon. If I am starting from ground zero again and want to pick a nice DX camera, I will take a serious look at the D7000. Magnesium body with 39 AF points .... I like that!

Well, yeah, it is: Canon has taken the 60D a bit down-market, and has made a Super Rebel out of it, which is a step in the wrong direction according to many 40D and 50D owners; the Nikon D7000 is aimed at being a higher-specified camera than the D90 it will replace, with a much more-capable AF system than the D90 had (it had 11-area AF, the D700 has 11,21,and 39 point AF capabilities), and a new speedlight the D700 as an option. WIth all the 7's, D7000 and SB 700, I think Nikon is trying to make people see that the D7000 is a possible buying choice against the Canon 7D.

The Canon 7D versus the lower-priced Nikon D7000...a lot of buyers will look at the lower price of the Nikon, and its good build quality and "feel" and think it feels good. Nikon will probably update the D300s to a D400 which will blow the 7D away performance wise, and the leapfrogging will continue when Canon releases the 7D Mark II,and so on,ad nauseum...

I'd have to agree with this.

in the end its a war, like intel and amd, like mercedez and bmw,

we are going to turn around and were gonna have level entry bodys with d3s sensor and the top notch nikons body will have something else. its technology.

The 3100 looks like a fine entry-level camera, and the 7000 looks impressive. Like the Nikon equivalent of the 7D, but not quite. I think it may have been a bit too large of a step up from the D90... it's not really in the prosumer range anymore.

Either way, it makes a heck of a lot more sense than the 60D. "Hey, let's undercut the sales from our bestselling camera by making a cheaper one that is almost identical in every important way!" Good one, Canon.

Still. Nothing I see in the 3100 or the 7000 that would tempt me away from my Canon gear :)

Well now I know what my next camera will be.

The feature I'm most interested in is the D7000 records 14-bit color.

"NEF (RAW): 12 or 14 bit, lossless compressed or compressed"

The D90 is ONLY 12-bit compressed for RAW, and I see too much grain and banding in some photos. I'd upgrade just for 14-bit.

Decisions! I love my D90 but it just lacks in video quality! Sounds like it'll still be awhile before a D700 replacement so the D7000 might be the right choice for me. We shall see.

Looks like the D7000 has a brand-new light metering system in it; instead of the 1,005 segment light metering, they've bumped that up to a little over 2,000. ALso, from the back of the D7000, it looks like the autofocusing "pattern" switch has been eliminated...probably moved to a menu...I see that there is no AF-ON button...so Nikon is still reserving the highest-end body controls for the cameras aimed at shooters who want or need specific, function-centric mechanical control switches for AF-ON and focusing pattern selection.

Looks like the D7000 has a brand-new light metering system in it; instead of the 1,005 segment light metering, they've bumped that up to a little over 2,000. ALso, from the back of the D7000, it looks like the autofocusing "pattern" switch has been eliminated...probably moved to a menu...I see that there is no AF-ON button...so Nikon is still reserving the highest-end body controls for the cameras aimed at shooters who want or need specific, function-centric mechanical control switches for AF-ON and focusing pattern selection.

that's what it looks like. It's like their holding back on those little things. Mostly likely we will see it all on the flagship DX body (D300s replacement) real soon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back