D7000 or D7100??

Having owned the D7000 from the first day it came out to the first day the D7100 came out... they are two different cameras.

They feel different: The grip on the D7100 is deeper and wider. I find it easier to hold the D7100 then the D7000.

The buttons are placed different: Take a look at the back of both. The D7100 has movie record button moved to the top of the camera. The AE-L/AF-L button is moved farther to the right on the D7100 (Making AF-ON easier). The focus selecor lock is moved... Basically the back of the D7100 is more like the back of the D600/D610.

24mp: There is a huge difference between 16mp and 24mp when it comes to pixel density. (cropping, sharpness, 'crisp-ness')

51point AF: The fastest AF system Nikon makes for DX. Incredibly accurate shooting sports / action. Makes the D7000 AF feel like a D3100 (or D5200 to be exact :) )

Better Build: The D7000 has a good build quality... The D7100 has an excellent build quality (comparable to the D800).

The only thing the D7000 and D7100 share is the 7 in the name. The only reason to by the D7000 is because it costs 1/2 the price of the D7100.

This seems a bit exaggerated. Most informed reviews I've read(e.g., Hogan)stress features and not across-the-board performance as the key differences. Besides, the D7xxx and D6xx platforms share a whole lotta DNA--the old Nikon game. In my market, D7000 bodies are just above C$700, while D7100s are around a grand. Not sure the price spread necessarily delivers "improvement" on that grand a scale.

yea. duh.
i said the D7100 was a better camera.
several times.
however, as you yourself said, "you'd be hard pressed to tell a picture taken with either one. " so...if that is indeed true, what is wrong with recommending a D7000?
I actually recommended the D7100, and only suggested getting the D7000 if one was found at a crazy good price with a low shutter count.

I too have both cameras. I have shot weddings with both camera. portraits with both cameras. Done pretty much the same amount of post work with pictures from both cameras. I find there is very little that I can do with the D7100 that I cannot also do with the D7000. the D7100 might do everything a little bit better, but that doesnt mean it is necessary to run out and buy the latest and greatest. coming from a D3100, the D7000 will seem like an AMAZING camera.

Based on your comments the OP would be fine with a D5100 (same sensor as the D7000) or D5200 (same Auto Focus system as the D7100)... and its probably true.

Heck... replace the word 'D7000' in the comments above with 'Canon 70D' and the argument still works.... but it isn't very helpful.

Unlike D3100 -> D3200 or D5100 -> D5200 -> D5200 updates... The D7000 and D7100 share nothing other then the same battery.

There, I straitened it out a little for you.

Anyhow, I originally planned on buying a D7000 as an upgrade for my D3100 but the wife got me a D7100 as a gift instead. In my opinion, this really comes down to budget. If you can afford a D7100, I say buy it. If you're on a tighter budget, you really can't go wrong with a D7000. Having upgraded from a D3100 my self to a D7100, I can say you will wished you had done it sooner!

Not true.. The D5200 has the AF system from the D7000... not the D7100. The only other cameras that have the same AF system as the D7100 are the D4 and D800.

Well hell…I knew that, I think I got 24 MP res mixed with AF sensor…pay no attention to me lol

This question keeps popping up a lot lately this D7000 vs D7100

The differences between the 2 cameras are well known.
Both cameras are good but the D7100 is better.

Is the D7100 worth the extra cash ?

Personal choice, to me the answer is absolutly yes.

Look about it this way, you go to buy a car, you get to choose one of 2 cars, 2012 model or 2013 which is not only a year newer but a different model which is better then last year, there is a price different, obviously the 2012 is cheaper so which would you go for ?

I would go for the newer model and pay the extra cash, its not such a huge price difference to go with the D7100 in my eyes.

As for the lens, if currently you have the 18-55mm then yes I wouldnt keep this lens, I would go for a better lens.
I would buy only the body and get a used lens, for my D7100 I got the 24-85mm VR but you can also get the 18-105mm or 18-140mm or 16-85mm
Lots of good lenses to choose from, I own only FX lenses because I want for my next camera to get a full frame.

Lots of replies to your post, I am eager to see what camera you will choose.

Good luck

Look up Thom Hogan's review of the D7100. He talks some about the D7000 vs D7100 equation. The D7100 is not a slam-dunk buy; for many people, he seems to suggest that the D7000 is a good choice. Honestly, I'm not sure myself is the D7100 is really the right choice for anybody except those who really want the little bit extra that only it has.

Well I've been pretty happy with my D5100 up to this point, would like to have the dual SD cards and the built in focus motor myself, really haven't decided though if the 24 mp sensor and improved autofocus system is really worth the extra few hundred in price difference. It's a tough call for me personally. Fortunately though I've got some time to think it over since it will be a while before I can put the money together for the next upgrade. Got a trip to Times square to pay for, oh.. and three silly hats. Lol

Well I've been pretty happy with my D5100 up to this point, would like to have the dual SD cards and the built in focus motor myself, really haven't decided though if the 24 mp sensor and improved autofocus system is really worth the extra few hundred in price difference. It's a tough call for me personally. Fortunately though I've got some time to think it over since it will be a while before I can put the money together for the next upgrade. Got a trip to Times square to pay for, oh.. and three silly hats. Lol
The D5100 is a good camera, I wouldnt rush to upgrade it, enjoy it and I have a feeling by the time you will be ready to upgrade other cameras will be around to consider.
I wouldnt rush to get a DX camera, I have a feeling that in time the FX will become more main stream and cheaper to buy.

Time will tell and in the mean time make good of your D5100 :)

The D5100 is a good camera, I wouldnt rush to upgrade it, enjoy it and I have a feeling by the time you will be ready to upgrade other cameras will be around to consider.
I wouldnt rush to get a DX camera, I have a feeling that in time the FX will become more main stream and cheaper to buy.

Time will tell and in the mean time make good of your D5100 :)

Actually for about 99% of what I do the DX format has advantages over the FX. I don't really shoot a lot of low light or wide angle stuff so happy as a clam with DX for now. The 5100 is a good all around camera and for now it's fitting my needs pretty well, doubt I'll upgrade for a while yet and even when I do I'll probably hang onto the 5100 to have as a backup body. The dual SD card slots would be nice to have, I run a single 64 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro for now and I've got another 16 GB Extreme pro in the bag and so far that's been getting the job done but come summer I'll most likely be extending my zoo walks and other outings so I will probably need another 64 GB card at some point. Would be nice to be able to just put them both in the camera and forget about it but having to swap them isn't really a major tragedy by any means.

The focus motor is really probably the biggest selling point for me, you can get a lot of the older glass on Ebay dirt cheap and some of it is some really good glass so in the long run that would save some $$$, but for now the two lenses I have seem to suffice so we'll just see what the future holds. The other possible upgrade path I looked at was the 5300 - the wifi and gps thing would be nice but I think the 7x would probably be a much better route to go once I get to that stage.

This thread delivered some CLASSIC "TPF"!!!! Next up: Coke or Pepsi? Followed at 9:00 PM by Ford or Chevy--redheaded stepchild versus rented mule, which one takes a beating better?

This thread delivered some CLASSIC "TPF"!!!! Next up: Coke or Pepsi? Followed at 9:00 PM by Ford or Chevy--redheaded stepchild versus rented mule, which one takes a beating better?
In my mother tongue there is a funny sketch and a line from it goes (loosely translating it) "They keep asking the same question and we keep answering the same answers" :mrgreen:

I was going to state my opinion, but this is more productive....:popcorn:

I'm looking around here...I KNOW that SOMEPLACE around this dump, I've got a nice wooden presentation box, with a set of .58 caliber 1820's flintlock dueling pistols inside of it...

Redheaded mule... hmm.. could be the biggest thing since the pet rock! I like it.. I'm excited to be a part of it. WTG Derrel, now that's some outside the box thinking there! Lol

The issue here is that the D7000 and D7100 get generalized down to DxOMark scores and general cosmetic similarities. At that point you might as well be comparing D3200 to the D5300 and the D600.

Its like comparing a Jeep Wrangler, a Toyota Prius and a BMW M3 and saying "All three will get you to work in the morning on time"... "All 3 have about the same cargo space".. "All three cars come with 4 tires!"... "When it comes down to it... they are all three the same car".

The D7000 and D7100 have a different body..
The AF system is different..
The Sensor is different..
The build quality is different..

They both take pictures.

yeah, well, all is good. Except

I want a d7000 with a 24mp sensor. Call it a d7050 !!

:whip:

and I want a free upgrade to it :p

The issue here is that the D7000 and D7100 get generalized down to DxOMark scores and general cosmetic similarities. At that point you might as well be comparing D3200 to the D5300 and the D600.

Its like comparing a Jeep Wrangler, a Toyota Prius and a BMW M3 and saying "All three will get you to work in the morning on time"... "All 3 have about the same cargo space".. "All three cars come with 4 tires!"... "When it comes down to it... they are all three the same car".

The D7000 and D7100 have a different body..
The AF system is different..
The Sensor is different..
The build quality is different..

They both take pictures.

I would probably give similar advice on those cars.
If you can afford the BMW, get it.
If not, get the Prius.
If you own handcuffs and a riding crop, get the jeep.

Most reactions

Back