D7000 - photos are all too dark

Aperture: ƒ/4.0
Exposure Time: 0.0003 s (1/3200)
ISO equiv: 100

Convert to Sunny 16:

F/4 to f/16 is -4 stops.
1/3200 to 1/100 is +5 stops. So if the subject is in daylight, it should only be 1 stop overexposed. If it's in a shadow, maybe 1 stop underexposed. This is far more than one stop under.

Hmm.. Well if the camera is in auto mode I have to wonder why it's pushing the shutter speed that high. Granted you should be able to get good pics outdoors in good light but that seems really odd for auto mode

Well granted it's been a very long time since I shot auto.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D7000
Image Date: 2016-04-01 16:19:05 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)

Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Very strange. If you're shooting in sunlight, this should be dead on.
Was EC set to a minus value?

Was EC set to a minus value?

Camera Maker: NIKON CORPORATION
Camera Model: NIKON D7000
Image Date: 2016-04-01 16:19:05 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 55.0mm (35mm equivalent: 82mm)
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

11vw8e.jpg

Maybe time for a full reset (pressing QUAL and Exposure Comp +/- buttons at the same time)

that picture appears to have been taken indoors. looks like a plant silhouetted against a window.

the background is under by 5 stops when i push it back in LR.

that picture appears to have been taken indoors. looks like a plant silhouetted against a window.

I think we have a winner.

ISO was set at 100. Should I change it?

If you reset the camera then the reset failed or you fussed with it after the reset. The reset should have produced auto ISO. Reset the camera again. Set the mode dial to auto and go shoot something outdoors. Once you get a normal exposure you can fuss with settings again with a better understanding of what you are doing.

Option 2. If you have a sunny day, set the camera ISO to 100 as you had it. Set the mode dial to manual, the aperture to f11 or f8 and the shutter speed to 1/250. You should end up with an exposure that is close to normal.

An exposure time of 1/3200 is beyond ridiculous. If the camera determined that in auto mode, then something is wrong. If you set that using shutter priority then we can identify the culprit.

Give that man a cigar!
The EXIF data says that the photo was taken in shutter priority mode, shutter speed 1/3200 and exposure difference (the difference between metered correct exposure and actual exposure) of -5.3 stops.

Give that man a cigar!
The EXIF data says that the photo was taken in shutter priority mode, shutter speed 1/3200 and exposure difference (the difference between metered correct exposure and actual exposure) of -5.3 stops.

There's no question it's underexposed.

The issue is why.

If it was in shutter priority was set to 1/3200 and the max ISO was somehow set to 100, then the aperture would open as wide as it could go (in this case, f4) and then it would just underexpose, right? Could that have happened? Or would that show on the exposure bias?

Could the OP have set the AEL while metering a brighter part of the room?

If it was in shutter priority was set to 1/3200 and the max ISO was somehow set to 100, then the aperture would open as wide as it could go (in this case, f4) and then it would just underexpose, right? Could that have happened? Or would that show on the exposure bias?

Could the OP have set the AEL while metering a brighter part of the room?
Green Box Auto. I was thinking the same thing about metering that bright window.

I thought the EXIF said it was in shutter priority?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back