What's new

D7000 Underexposure?

eric-holmes

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Joined
Aug 8, 2009
Messages
1,859
Reaction score
49
Location
Arkansas
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just picked up a D7000 today. I noticed right off the bat that it is underexposing quite a few of my pictures in Aperture priority mode. It appears that I need to use an EV value of +1.0. If I am using manual mode, I find myself exposing to the right at least 2-3 clicks. Has anyone else noticed this?

ADL-Off
Single point focus
Spot metering
 
I haven't noticed this on my D7000.

However, my D80 I use a value of -.7, or at least bracket two shots one being normal and one -.7
 
Yes. I had a D60 that require + 0.7 EV all the time.

My D90 was set at -0.3 EV. all the time

My D300's and D3's don't require any EV offset.

The D7000 is an entry-level camera regardless it's new features and capabilities.

You could always send the D7000 in under the warranty and have them check the metering calibration.
 
You can go in and alter the manual exposure. Like you can manually adjust up or down where the camera will shoot. And No keith, it's not entry level. The d3100 and d5100 are entry level. The D7000 is on par with the D300 in my opinion, other than not having as many focus points and not having a full magnesium alloy body.
 
You can go in and alter the manual exposure. Like you can manually adjust up or down where the camera will shoot. And No keith, it's not entry level. The d3100 and d5100 are entry level. The D7000 is on par with the D300 in my opinion, other than not having as many focus points and not having a full magnesium alloy body.

lol, yes, I know that I can adjust the camera in manual mode. I just mean that when the meter says I am dead on, it is underexposing. I end up pushing the exposure by dropping the shutter speed to get my proper exposure.
 
I found the opposite with mine. I usually have to rock it at about -2/3 EV in aperture priority in order to get well exposed shots.
 
You can go in and alter the manual exposure. Like you can manually adjust up or down where the camera will shoot. And No keith, it's not entry level. The d3100 and d5100 are entry level. The D7000 is on par with the D300 in my opinion, other than not having as many focus points and not having a full magnesium alloy body.

lol, yes, I know that I can adjust the camera in manual mode. I just mean that when the meter says I am dead on, it is underexposing. I end up pushing the exposure by dropping the shutter speed to get my proper exposure.

Eric,
You are missing information about the b5 custom function, which Nikon has built into the D7000 and other Nikons, specifically to ALLOW THE USER to fine-tune his or her camera's light meter for his or her own working methods. It allows you to compensate, and then match the meter up to where it says dead-on, BUT, the trick is that you have custom-configured the exposure in one-sixth EV value "tweaks". THis is NOT the same thing as the +/- or Exposure Compensation Control button....this is an entirely different thing.

[SIZE=+2]From Ken Rockwell's D7000 real-world User's Guide:

b5
[/SIZE][SIZE=+2] Fine tune optimal exposure [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT][/SIZE]
[FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif] top[/FONT]Don't touch this!For tweakers, this lets you shift the precise exposure individually for each of the three meter modes by sixths of a stop.If you do this, the camera won't tell you that you've messed with this.Don't touch this.​
 
And No keith, it's not entry level. The d3100 and d5100 are entry level. .
Sure it is d-b-j. It's entry-level according to Nikon, based on it's numbering - 4 digits like all the other entry-level Nikon's rather than 3 digits for the Prosumer D300s and D700, it's lack of more than 3 AEB, and lack of 10-pin connector and PC sync cable port among other things.

The Prosumer D300s and D700 are at the end of it's product cycle and itheir replacements (D400?/D800?) will be announced any day.

The Pro bodies have just 1 digit.
 
Last edited:
And No keith, it's not entry level. The d3100 and d5100 are entry level. .
Sure it is d-b-j. It's entry-level according to Nikon, based on it's numbering - 4 digits like all the other entry-level Nikon's rather than 3 digits for the Prosumer D300s and D700, it's lack of more than 3 AEB, and lack of 10-pin connector and PC sync cable port among other things.

The Prosumer D300s and D700 are at the end of it's product cycle and itheir replacements (D400?/D800?) will be announced any day.

The Pro bodies have just 1 digit.

What about the D90?
 
And No keith, it's not entry level. The d3100 and d5100 are entry level. .
Sure it is d-b-j. It's entry-level according to Nikon, based on it's numbering - 4 digits like all the other entry-level Nikon's rather than 3 digits for the Prosumer D300s and D700, it's lack of more than 3 AEB, and lack of 10-pin connector and PC sync cable port among other things.

The Prosumer D300s and D700 are at the end of it's product cycle and itheir replacements (D400?/D800?) will be announced any day.

The Pro bodies have just 1 digit.

I wish they would make a lightweight pro body. I don't agree with the ergonomics of ALWAYS having a grip attached. You should have the option of detaching it. I was planning on getting a D3, at least in the summer. After trying it though, big clunky, gorgeous viewfinder, but somewhere down the line I feel like it's lost its 35mm mobile design philosophy. They're practically the size of medium format cameras.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom