D7100 black and white issue solved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Auslese

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I could not shoot to black and white, because in my chosen settings U1 I had enabled the sport program for my high speed wildlife shooting. For some reason this disables black and white. that said all I have to do is enable black and white in the camera, and while it is enabled if I switch back to U1 I am in full color, just switch to any other mode by the command dial and I am shooting in black and white. It's either or so I am not shooting all photos in both, but there is no need to enable anything except JPEG. I believe that I can enable a black and white program for U2, or I can keep that as my landscape settings.

Really it's somewhat amazing that no one knew how simple this was, as no double file formats or new cards or new programs were needed, just as I said.

So thanks to me it is done for FREE as I predicted.

About to look at some grave markers now.

CIAO

It was easy, the problem was that the camera scene programs disable black and white automatically for some unknown reason. There is no need to get upset because I remedied the issue on my own. I thank everyone for the help they gave, because it got me thinking in different ways, but again the issue was solved without either new hardware or software, or cost.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could not shoot to black and white, because in my chosen settings U1 I had enabled the sport program for my high speed wildlife shooting. For some reason this disables black and white. that said all I have to do is enable black and white in the camera, and while it is enabled if I switch back to U1 I am in full color, just switch to any other mode by the command dial and I am shooting in black and white. It's either or so I am not shooting all photos in both, but there is no need to enable anything except JPEG. I believe that I can enable a black and white program for U2, or I can keep that as my landscape settings.

Really it's somewhat amazing that no one knew how simple this was, as no double file formats or new cards or new programs were needed, just as I said.

CIAO

So..... you end up taking TWO SHOTS....... one in color and one in black and white?

What about your crying about memory space, and not having enough money to buy larger cards and bigger drives? And in the end you STILL end up with two of everything?

And all the drivel about a monochrome monitor.......... which has squat to do with field work.

What happens when the UFO swoops down to pick up Sasquatch (riding the Loch Ness Monster) while you forget to turn the dial back to U1?

Hilarious.

Abso-feaking-tively hilarious. I'm sure we'll all refer to this silly thread for years go come.

Thanks for the laughs. It truly was enjoyable.

CIAO

So..... you end up taking TWO SHOTS....... one in color and one in black and white?

What about your crying about memory space, and not having enough money to buy larger cards and bigger drives? And in the end you STILL end up with two of everything?

And all the drivel about a monochrome monitor.......... which has squat to do with field work.

What happens when the UFO swoops down to pick up Sasquatch (riding the Loch Ness Monster) while you forget to turn the dial back to U1?

Hilarious.

Abso-feaking-tively hilarious. I'm sure we'll all refer to this silly thread for years go come.

Thanks for the laughs. It truly was enjoyable.

No I am not taking two shots, I merely took all the shots in the cemetery as black and white, and if I choose color just go back to U1.
The Catskill Goose Clan

You figured out a way to shoot color, then to flip a switch and shoot things in B&W!

Dude, you moved the goalposts on yourself to get rid of the cognitive dissonance you were having. YESTERDAY you absolutely insisted that you wanted BOTH color and B&W images, from the SAME shot...today...well...you're happy to double-clutch and do something entirely,entirely different.

Bravo!

You figured out a way to shoot color, then to flip a switch and shoot things in B&W!

Dude, you moved the goalposts on yourself to get rid of the cognitive dissonance you were having. YESTERDAY you absolutely insisted that you wanted BOTH color and B&W images, from the SAME shot...today...well...you're happy to double-clutch and do something entirely,entirely different.

Bravo!

No I found a new way, just as I said I would. Again I could not shoot anything in black and white, because I had the sport program enabled in my U1 setting. Once that was resolved other options quickly emerged. I was only entertaining double files because I could not shoot anything in black and white, so with that resolved I can switch from color to black and white from the command dial, no menus.

The ugly duckling

Yeah, a new way....meaning>>>goalposts moved...

I'm glad you're happy with the solution you arrived at, but it is entirely NOT what you were so adamant about doing less than 24 hours ago. Still...I'm glad you've figured out something that was bugging you. It's good when you can come to a solution you're happy with.

Yeah...the scene modes on many cameras do impose some limits; on many cameras, certain dial pre-set positions will not allow white balance adjustments, or will not allow RAW capture, and so on and so on.

I still think that Lightroom would be a very valuable tool for handling your images.

Yeah, a new way....meaning>>>goalposts moved...

I'm glad you're happy with the solution you arrived at, but it is entirely NOT what you were so adamant about doing less than 24 hours ago. Still...I'm glad you've figured out something that was bugging you. It's good when you can come to a solution you're happy with.

Yeah...the scene modes on many cameras do impose some limits; on many cameras, certain dial pre-set positions will not allow white balance adjustments, or will not allow RAW capture, and so on and so on.

I still think that Lightroom would be a very valuable tool for handling your images.
I was adamant in an errant way, because the camera refused all attempts to enable black and white photography. Discovering the software glitch which prevents sport black and white shooting, something that makes no sense by the way, is what changed the goalpost as you call it. I said that I was going to take the simplest solution, and I did. I was told that I needed to buy lightroom and new cards, and I said I would figure it out, and I did.

So stop whining already,

.......... and I said I would figure it out, and I did......

No I am not taking two shots, I merely took all the shots in the cemetery as black and white, and if I choose color just go back to U1.
The Catskill Goose Clan

So, you CANNOT D7100 Question, can I have this camera shoot every photo in color and BW?

Major fail.

Nice try.

And your constant link bait doesn't interest me one bit.

The Catskill Goose Clan

So, you CANNOT D7100 Question, can I have this camera shoot every photo in color and BW?

Major fail.

Nice try.

And your constant link bait doesn't interest me one bit.

Actually, now that I can shoot black and white in the first place, yesterday I could not, there is no reason to shoot every photo in both. That was as I saw it the only solution at the time. Anyone know why the sport mode disables black and white? Happy Turkey

Ok, So you have U1 is sport and U2 is landscape and if in the P S M or A modes it goes to B&W.

I would rather use U1 for B&W and set the filter color (actually I would need U1 for people B&W and U2 for landscape B&W) and the other picture controls relevant to B&W.

However as others noted, it is often more satisfying to process a B&W image in post processing and not in the camera.

As to why Sport mode disables B&W, just a guess, but it could be the extra processing by the camera will slow the frame rate and that is probably one of the priorities of Sport mode (I guess I skipped the camera modes class).

It doesn't disable b&w, and it's not a glitch or error.... it was designed to be a mode to shoot in color.

Same reason why opening your refrigerator turns on the light inside it.

BTW, scene modes are 'training wheels' for newbies.

Ok, So you have U1 is sport and U2 is landscape and if in the P S M or A modes it goes to B&W.

I would rather use U1 for B&W and set the filter color (actually I would need U1 for people B&W and U2 for landscape B&W) and the other picture controls relevant to B&W.

However as others noted, it is often more satisfying to process a B&W image in post processing and not in the camera.

As to why Sport mode disables B&W, just a guess, but it could be the extra processing by the camera will slow the frame rate and that is probably one of the priorities of Sport mode (I guess I skipped the camera modes class).
Actually it was noted by others here that it is far better to take the black and white image in the camera, because in post processing all you are doing is removing color saturation, and the camera will do more than this for black and white. I do not yet have an opinion on this one, but I will after some more experimentation. It was too Sunny today for tombstone shots.

Actually it was noted by others here that it is far better to take the black and white image in the camera, because in post processing all you are doing is removing color saturation, and the camera will do more than this for black and white. I do not yet have an opinion on this one, but I will after some more experimentation. It was too Sunny today for tombstone shots.
Actually nobody here would ever recommend using in-camera conversion over software conversion. It limits you to the parameters defined by the firmware designer as opposed to having full control over them with full-fledged post processing software. I'm not going to go back and read that entire thread again but as I recall the only one touting in-camera conversion was you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back