D7100 ordered- few queries

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi All,

I ordered a d7100 today. Its a step down admittedly from the d800 i asked questions about here recently but sometimes the wallet helps make a different decision for one. I had all canon gear but sold it recently. I purchased an olympus micro 4/3rds EPL-5 and am very impressed with the image quality from this but i kind of knew I'd also want a dslr. From what I read the d7100 has great image quality. I also have a nikon 35mm dx f1.8 enroute

Has anyone used the new sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS with the nikon. I will mainly use primes with the camera but want a walk around lens of reasonable quality. Any accessories relevant to the d7100 you could also recommend. Thanks

I would recommend for a few $$ more ($500US vs. $570US)... the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC (OS HSM FLD.. whew!)

The D7100 is amazing... you'll love it.

I would recommend for a few $$ more ($500US vs. $570US)... the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC (OS HSM FLD.. whew!)

The D7100 is amazing... you'll love it.

Thanks. I will keep that one in mind. I was hoping to pick up the longer one for the focal length but only if the quality was good. It could be the 17-50 yet, I have previously owned a tamron 17-50mm also which was a great lens

I second that suggestion. I have the 17-50 2.8OS, and I love it! Tack sharp, reasonable focusing speed, etc. It was well worth every penny.

Regards,
Jake

First congratulation on your new camera, you are going to LOVE it!!!
For me the leap from the D7000 to the D7100 was huge.

Have no input about the Sigma lens you are inquiring about but I can tell you the lens I use probably 95% of my time on my D7100 is the Nikon 24-85mm VR, that's a very sharp lens and while not as fast as a constant 2.8 it is fast enough and for the reasonable price of around 300$ used you are getting a very good and usable focal range and as I said a very sharp lens.

Not as wide as the lens you mentioned, but I am very happy with my Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on my D7100.

And it is INEXPENSIVE

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks all. 24 or 28 are indeed not wide enough. Basically the intention is to get a few nice primes and supplement them with a standard zoom. Likely I will get a 50mm f1.4 and a macro in the 100mm or similar range and top this off with a 70 or 80-200mm f2.8. This is the order but will take a bit of time to build up. I kind of know the focal lengths etc I want but nikon lenses are new to me. I will do a bit of reading before any purchase

Thanks all. 24 or 28 are indeed not wide enough. Basically the intention is to get a few nice primes and supplement them with a standard zoom. Likely I will get a 50mm f1.4 and a macro in the 100mm or similar range and top this off with a 70 or 80-200mm f2.8. This is the order but will take a bit of time to build up. I kind of know the focal lengths etc I want but nikon lenses are new to me. I will do a bit of reading before any purchase

No doubt what is good for one might not be so good for the other.
Usually I am trying to get Nikon lenses instead of third party, still I have one Sigma lens and I am happy with it so I don't think third party is a bad way to go.
I am a very big fan of used lenses, all the lenses you see on my list are all used, I don't own a single new lens and I saved a lot of money so I would advise considering getting used lenses.

My 24-85mm VR which on a DX body is even wider as its an FX lens so if you want a wide lens then you should get something else.
Did you consider the Nikon 16-85mm VR ?
From my knowledge it is considered by many to be the sharpest DX lens in this focal length, again its not a constant 2.8 but a darn good lens and even slightly wider then the Sigma lens you were inquiring on.

The D7100 is your best bang for the buck. It is a great camera. I use the Nikon 16-85 as my standard lens. It is very sharp. I recommend it.

Absolutely love my D7100, huge step up from a D40x :p

I too have the Sigma 17-50 f2.8, it's a wonderful lens, but if I could do it all over again I would save a little more for a used Nikon 17-55 F2.8. That combined with my 35 f1.8 is all I need. As far as accessories I recommend the grip. Imo it makes the camera more comfortable in my hands, and adds another battery to boot. A bit on the expensive side, but I believe it's worth every penny.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back