D7100 Question, can I have this camera shoot every photo in color and BW

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom has B&W presets for the initial import.
I've never used them, but it looks like you can import and convert to B&W automatically during import.

If not, setting one B&W and then syncing all the rest to that first one is simple and fast.
I do not want to import and save as BW, that means twice the work and drive storage, I just want to view and select the best, to do post editing on where the conversion will happen as dark or light as I see fit.
Then try this über-simple solution:

Shoot in full-color JPEG, then batch process them to b&w in post. View the b&w in any viewer or editor.
That means storing them as BW even if only temporarily, it's a grand waste of time. When I sit down with my new shots, I view them and choose them ASAP, then take my time in editing. I actually might be able to change my monitor to BW and see the images as BW even if color, but that isn't jumping out either. Simpler is better, and will result in me having more time to do real editing. This should be easy but I am sure that there is a $1,000 photoshop plugin to do the task.

If B&W is so important, then just shoot in b&w JPEG. Problem solved.

So let me understand your work flow....

You want to shoot in color, but in post you want to see what an image looks like in b&w, right? One at a time, or are you wanting to magically see ALL the images in black & white?

So let me understand your work flow....

You want to shoot in color, but in post you want to see what an image looks like in b&w, right? One at a time, or are you wanting to magically see ALL the images in black & white?
I want to see all of the images in BW, not converted to BW just have the color removed for viewing. Then choose the color photos that I have chosen and convert them to BW or sepia, for artistic value. The reason for this is a color photo may not seem nice, but as BW it becomes mysteriously magical. I should be able to alter my monitor to achieve this, but it seems that BW is dead in some circles and is only alive in some areas of photography. Having the camera save two images has become dumb in my mind as only .01 percent will be used.

Nah, BW is only important in some photos, besides if I am shooting in BW Murphy predicts an alien landing or Bigfoot asking me for directions.

First off, learn to 'see' in b&w. Spending hours in front of a monitor clicking on image after image in the hopes that an image will suddenly jump out and and be an award-winner is a huge waste of time. So you should only be working with images that you know beforehand have a chance of becoming monochrome masterpieces. I rarely 'see' a black and white for the first time in post.... 99.99% of mine are 'seen' before I even pick up the camera.

Ansel Adams rarely shot color. Look how well his b&w shots came out. I doubt he spent much time in the darkroom trying to salvage an image... he did all that legwork out in the field. If the scene wasn't worthy of clicking a shutter, he moved on. He knew full well what his finished image was going to look like before he grabbed a tripod.

Another thing is to learn to cull your tens of thousands of shots down to what you want to edit. No need to edit everything.... just what is worthy of editing needs to be dealt with. This is easily done by star rating your images during initial ingestion. Then you can set your editor to only show you the 1+ star-rated images.

Now that you're down to a managable number, Nikkon's NX-D will easily compare two images side by side. Just open the folder, select the image, then click on the "Side by Side" icon (red arrow). Change one image to monochrome (green arrow).

bw%20color.jpg

Last edited:
First off, learn to 'see' in b&w. Spending hours in front of a monitor clicking on image after image in the hopes that an image will suddenly jump out and and be an award-winner is a huge waste of time. So you should only be working with images that you know beforehand have a chance of becoming monochrome masterpieces. I rarely 'see' a black and white for the first time in post.... 99.99% of mine are 'seen' before I even pick up the camera.

Another thing is to learn to cull your tens of thousands of shots down to what you want to edit. No need to edit everything.... just what is worthy of editing needs to be dealt with. This is easily done by star rating your images during initial ingestion. Then you can set your editor to only show you the 1+ star-rated images.

Now that you're down to a managable number, Nikkon's NX-D will easily compare two images side by side. Just open the folder, select the image, then click on the "Side by Side" icon (red arrow). Change one image to monochrome (green arrow).

bw%20color.jpg

I do not edit everything, but I do need to view everything, because after I zoom on many shots I see things that were not seen at the scene or at distance, such at this shot taken at 50 yards that just showed a blurry dog in the grass
So things that are not seen at the scene are recorded and of value that you need to discover in post processing, just as the perfect photo that you know you took sometimes just plain stinks. I have Nikon View NX2 can I view in BW with this? One reason that I want to do this is because I am taking graveyard shots at the moment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not edit everything, but I do need to view everything, because after I zoom on many shots I see things that were not seen at the scene or at distance, such at this shot taken at 50 yards that just showed a blurry dog in the grass DSC_6858b

So things that are not seen at the scene are recorded and of value that you need to discover in post processing, just as the perfect photo that you know you took sometimes just plain stinks.

Learn not to Spray and Pray. It wastes time and memory space. Get selective in your shooting. And be more aware of everything that's in the frame. If there's something in the image that kills a color image, it pretty much kills a b&w conversion as well.

I have Nikon View NX2 can I view in BW with this? One reason that I want to do this is because I am taking graveyard shots at the moment.

No. NX-D is free on Nikons' website, though.

Ok, that is a thought, how do I set the 7100 to jpeg BW, should be easy right?

I do not edit everything, but I do need to view everything, because after I zoom on many shots I see things that were not seen at the scene or at distance, such at this shot taken at 50 yards that just showed a blurry dog in the grass DSC_6858b

So things that are not seen at the scene are recorded and of value that you need to discover in post processing, just as the perfect photo that you know you took sometimes just plain stinks.

Learn not to Spray and Pray. It wastes time and memory space. Get selective in your shooting. And be more aware of everything that's in the frame. If there's something in the image that kills a color image, it pretty much kills a b&w conversion as well.

I have Nikon View NX2 can I view in BW with this? One reason that I want to do this is because I am taking graveyard shots at the moment.

No. NX-D is free on Nikons' website, though.
This came out of say 500 shots, that can not be selected ever, as this is happening at over 20 mph minimum Big Brook A second not preserved is a second lost to eternity.

Page 105 of the manual.

Page 105 of the manual.
Page 105 of the manual.
Perhaps but then I lose color, and will not be able to tell the color of an aliens blood. Seriously if I shot everything in BW I would just have the opposite problem, but converting to color though possible would be stupid and inferior.

Shoot Raw

Last edited:
Here's your solution... But I can already tell you won't like it....

1. Shoot in raw
2. Buy bigger memory cards. Memory is too cheap these days to have that as a concern.
3. Select b&w as you just discovered how to do it in the above post. The raw file will still be in colour, but the preview on the back of the camera will be b&w.
4. Import photos to Lightroom, applying your chosen b&w setting.
4. You can cull images in LR easily.
5. Further develop b&w's as desired.
7. Any you want back in colour can be changed back as raw edits are non destructive.

Page 105 of the manual.
I looked at page 105, and found out why this does not work on my camera, which is that I use the U1 setting that I have created, which incorporates the cameras sport setting, which does not allow for BW.

Again the easiest way to do this is to kill color in my monitor, but even my video card does not support this. This is making me grumpy, because this should be simple.
Here's your solution... But I can already tell you won't like it....

1. Shoot in raw
2. Buy bigger memory cards. Memory is too cheap these days to have that as a concern.
3. Select b&w as you just discovered how to do it in the above post. The raw file will still be in colour, but the preview on the back of the camera will be b&w.
4. Import photos to Lightroom, applying your chosen b&w setting.
4. You can cull images in LR easily.
5. Further develop b&w's as desired.
7. Any you want back in colour can be changed back as raw edits are non destructive.
Too complicated and expensive,
1 buy new cards 100 to 200 dollars
2 buy lightroom, 150 with shipping
3 buy new storage drive for double shot taking, 200 or so

None of this makes sense as all I need to do is see my photos in BW so as to choose them. The fact that this is not easy is doofy.

Raw is also a waste of time, just my opinion, less is more, the camera incorporates JPEG for a reason, and simpler is often better, I know some disagree, but the JPEG is already an image that can be changed in near any way. Double formats is double problems, and I will buy a black and white monitor before I add another 5 terabite drive to hold a few hundred BW photos that I must store as JPEGS and RAW.

None of the expenses above will add picture quality, there is a free way to do what I want, as it really is simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back