D7100 Question, can I have this camera shoot every photo in color and BW

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main adjustment you need to make is to your attitude and working methods...

If you cannot figure out how to see your images in Black and White, you need to become more familiar with how your software works.

Good luck with that black and white monitor thing.

You really are hard to please aren't you?

The only option that occurs to me that hasn't already been mentioned is to buy a second monitor. Head down to the Salvation Army or similar local thrift store, and chances are, for <$20 you can find an old CRT monochrome monitor or television set. Set your video card to a dual-eye configuration and you're done.

You really are hard to please aren't you?

The only option that occurs to me that hasn't already been mentioned is to buy a second monitor. Head down to the Salvation Army or similar local thrift store, and chances are, for <$20 you can find an old CRT monochrome monitor or television set. Set your video card to a dual-eye configuration and you're done.
Why can't a new monitor display black and white? It's easy, just remove the color?

Bye the way there are no junkyards with CRT black and white monitors, because color was already in place when CRT computer monitors were invented.

If you cannot figure out how to see your images in Black and White, you need to become more familiar with how your software works.

Nice post, but you can't figure it out either, I build and program computers....Part of the problem is that Nikon is demanding that people use their bloated image format, but at least they do allow people to shoot in JPEG and Raw because Raw is actually inferior. Ever think of that?

Why can't a new monitor display black and white? It's easy, just remove the color?
I don't know. I'm a photographer, not a monitor-designer.

Bye the way there are no junkyards with CRT black and white monitors, because color was already in place when CRT computer monitors were invented.
Really? Huh... I guess what I thought where monochrome displays I was using in the early 90s were just... what? My bad eyes? The last time I was in my local Salvation Army they had a nice 12-14" (I didn't pay a lot of attention) B&W desktop television set. Granted they're not terribly common any more, but they're around.

I don't know. I'm a photographer, not a monitor-designer.

Really? Huh... I guess what I thought where monochrome displays I was using in the early 90s were just... what? My bad eyes? The last time I was in my local Salvation Army they had a nice 12-14" (I didn't pay a lot of attention) B&W desktop television set. Granted they're not terribly common any more, but they're around.
Then I would need to replace my 500 dollar video card to incorporate a vga plug, which means I am going backwards, which is dumb, as is the idea. I do not have a six core i7-3930 processor to run obsolete garbage, that someone threw away 25 years ago. I threw away 8 CRT's and all were color.

Auslese said:

Nice post, but you can't figure it out either, I build and program computers....Part of the problem is that Nikon is demanding that people use their bloated image format, but at least they do allow people to shoot in JPEG and Raw because Raw is actually inferior. Ever think of that?

You've provided me with a fine morning laugh. I look forward to your dissertation on the inferiority of the raw capture format. What journal is publishing that?

Dude...you want Black and White rendering of your images...Jeebus...set B&W as the import profile in LR, and have the previews made as B&W images....oh, wait, you're too cheap to spring for Lightroom....oh well. Your specific density must be close to that of granite...

You do (?????) realize that undesired images CAN be thrown away and deleted, right? Or do you just like to whine about storage and memory cards and the price of software? Again--your most-needed adjustment is an attitude adjustment. Followed by working methods adjustment that conforms to roughly the 2005 era. Because, YES, it is dead fricking simple to shoot each image in Black and White and full color. But it DOES require a few button-clicks before the shooting day starts. You have been told how to do it, but apparently it does not jibe with your fantasy world concepts. Maybe you need to ask a Unicorn how to accomplish this monumental task?

Okay... so a'splain me this Lucy - this thread has gone to three pages, with detailed information by some very skilled and experienced photographers. For whatever reason, none of those options are suitable. At some point you need to realize that you can't always do what you want the way you want. It really is that simple.

Okay... so a'splain me this Lucy - this thread has gone to three pages, with detailed information by some very skilled and experienced photographers. For whatever reason, none of those options are suitable. At some point you need to realize that you can't always do what you want the way you want. It really is that simple.
You are the first person to say that, and it makes sense. I will invent it then, and pay nothing, the problem is that mainstream product lines are 100 percent dedicated to the best color possible, and I am looking backwards.

Auslese said:

You've provided me with a fine morning laugh. I look forward to your dissertation on the inferiority of the raw capture format. What journal is publishing that?

Dude...you want Black and White rendering of your images...Jeebus...set B&W as the import profile in LR, and have the previews made as B&W images....oh, wait, you're too cheap to spring for Lightroom....oh well. Your specific density must be close to that of granite...

You do (?????) realize that undesired images CAN be thrown away and deleted, right? Or do you just like to whine about storage and memory cards and the price of software? Again--your most-needed adjustment is an attitude adjustment. Followed by working methods adjustment that conforms to roughly the 2005 era. Because, YES, it is dead fricking simple to shoot each image in Black and White and full color. But it DOES require a few button-clicks before the shooting day starts. You have been told how to do it, but apparently it does not jibe with your fantasy world concepts. Maybe you need to ask a Unicorn how to accomplish this monumental task?

All JPEG, dissertation ended.

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to have champagne taste and a beer budget.

....... I will invent it then, and pay nothing, .....

How utterly naive.
Not at all, people pay for computer apps every day, without even looking at the free app page first. This is the naïve thing, but not everyone will ever invent something. By invent I really mean find another way that is simpler using off the shelf parts and software so to speak. Did you hear the story about the guy who invented the computer mouse, and how IBM laughed at him? Look it up.

Auslese said:

But I do not want to shoot in BW, I want to shoot in full color and merely view in BW, thus the equation has nothing to do with the camera. Can you grasp this?

One of the reasons you (OP) will never be happy is because you think that a good BW image is a good color image with all the colors removed - and that is totally not true.

A good bw image depends on the contrast of tones of white, grey and black.
The absolute worst way to get a good bw image is to take a good color image and take the color out by desaturation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back