D7100 standard zoom

jaomul

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I bought a Nikon d7100 recently with a 35 and 50 lens. I want a reasonable standard zoom and was thinking the sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4. Of course the internet has got me looking at other options. I am aware of focal length limitations and constant aperture benefits etc, but from a purely image quality point of view could anyone recommend what they think is my best option (from actually using the lens)circa 400euro/350 pounds/500 dollars. Thanks

Well, I can tell you that the Sigma 17-70 works on the D7100. I've had that lens for several years and have been very happy with it. I've only had the D7100 for a couple of weeks and haven't used that particular lens on it a lot but I use it extensively on my D7000. It's sharp, relatively fast, focuses well, and has VR. Excellent lens in my opinion.

Well, I can tell you that the Sigma 17-70 works on the D7100. I've had that lens for several years and have been very happy with it. I've only had the D7100 for a couple of weeks and haven't used that particular lens on it a lot but I use it extensively on my D7000. It's sharp, relatively fast, focuses well, and has VR. Excellent lens in my opinion.

Thanks. I had asked a similar question recently and had pretty much decided on the siggy. I shouldn't look so much.

Thanks. I had asked a similar question recently and had pretty much decided on the siggy. I shouldn't look so much.
It's something we all do, I guess. I agonize about lens choices simply because there are so many available these days.

I forgot to mention that Sigma has revamped the 17-70. The new one has that USB programmer thingy on it, and I'm not sure whether you are looking at the new version or the old version. Mine is the OLD version. I haven't used much with my D7100 since every time I've used that body since I got it has been out chasing birds with my 150-500. The first couple of shots I took with the camera the day I got it were with the 17-70 though and it seems to work just fine. I know for certain it does with my D7000 since it's seen quite a bit of use on that body.

Thanks again. It will likely be the newer version alright. There doesn't seem to be any cheap deals on last years model where I live .

I might spoil myself for Christmas

I like the 24-85mm VR on my D7100, its a very sharp lens and is an FX so you are getting the factor of 36-127mm and when you are ready to upgrade to an FX in the future you already have a walk around lens for it.

I like the 24-85mm VR on my D7100, its a very sharp lens and is an FX so you are getting the factor of 36-127mm and when you are ready to upgrade to an FX in the future you already have a walk around lens for it.

Thanks. 24 to wide for me. I'd doubt I will ever go fullframe

To each his own :wink:

I tend to agree with Jaomul. I occasionally run into the narrow end limits of my 17-70 and a 24mm field of view on a DX-sensor body would be too wide for me at times. I also have no urge to downgrade to a full-frame body. DX does what I want whereas full-frame would not.

I tend to agree with Jaomul. I occasionally run into the narrow end limits of my 17-70 and a 24mm field of view on a DX-sensor body would be too wide for me at times. I also have no urge to downgrade to a full-frame body. DX does what I want whereas full-frame would not.
As I said to each his own, no right or wrong answers here.
I can count on one hands the time I felt my 24-85mm VR wasn't wide enough for me but that's my needs and my needs only.
As for future purchase of FX I am sure I will do that but I am really in no hurry to do that, the D7100 is Sooooo frick'n good I really don't feel any need to get anything else right now.

Ended up buying a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc. I had one of these in Canon mount previously and was happy. Hopefully this one is up to expected

Ended up buying a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 non vc. I had one of these in Canon mount previously and was happy. Hopefully this one is up to expected

Good choice, I got the Nikon 17-55mm 2.8 and love it!

I got excited when I read the OP, then I saw this and got sad I couldn't whore my lens on you...

I got excited when I read the OP, then I saw this and got sad I couldn't whore my lens on you...

I saw yours on sale and it was at my budget but I am in Ireland so did not cross my mind you would ship it there

Hey, what happens on TPF stays on TPF - lol

Most reactions

New Topics

Back