D7200 in the post... Where to start?

I like the book plan... Digital age, never thought of that... Silly me.

Update... Found some useful stuff, odd but useful.
Aparantly ISO will be 4x base unless the flash at its max power cant do the job at which point bthe camera will raise the ISO.
Makes sense I think.
I am asasuming once I have a long lens on ther flash will max out, the camera will know that and ISO will go up.
I am also begining to think I may have to do siome of this stuff manually, given that I want to ise it with a zoom.

To be honest I am a bit lost again... I get trhe basics I think but again, way too may choices to make bad asumptions about and I woiulkd apriciate a heads up re camera and flash settings.

before playing with flash, it sounds like you need to understand ISO better and how the Aperture and Shutter are correlated.

During the evening, and while it's getting darker. You can practice your understanding of ISO.

With AUTO ISO on, shutter fixed at say 1,000, and aperture at say f/8. take pictures of cars driving by. Every 10-15 minutes as the light begins to wane. Watch what happens to ISO and the image quality.

Also, take a pic of a fixed ISO at say 1,000, and vary your shutter speed (make it slower and slower) as the light wanes, at a fixed say f/8. Watch what happens to any motion blur as your shutter speed slows.

I read a few reviews and settled on 'Thom Hogan's complete guide to Nikon D7200'

Its 900 pages of crossreferenced ebook (pdf) and acording to the reviews is about the most in depth guide available.

Thanks for the heads up, somtimes the obvious isnt so obvious from inside the problem.

I also bought the Helicon remote app... Looks superb, it even has a motion detection trigger, remote live view, that can be trained on a portion of ther live image and will trigger a shutter release if anything changes rapidly.
Sort of like a beam break without the beam. Looking forward to pointing that a a likely landing to take off site for birds.

Anyone played with it?

Al

Evening tests, good plan I will, and yoiu are correct that is just one of the MANY areas I need to understansd.

Will have to change the subject matter though, rush hour here is generall about a dosen cars and the odd bike... Loads of sheep and trhe odd cow though.

I was mucking about with the flash last night and it looks like it will be great when I get my head round it... As you say, camera first though, as understanding whats changing with the flash on will definatly require me knowing what to expect without it.

Cheers

zombiesniper...
It is a pity that isnt a section from a book, clearly somone I could aspire to be nearly as good as and definatly somone I woulkd buy a book from.

Great info thanks.

I have suficiant reading right now but at some point I will be looking for tips on getting good wildlife shots in the UK and perhaps even other places to considder taking a holiday to.

Thought I may try a moth lamp when the weather clears up next week.
Sometrhing to point at in th evening...

Al

Thom Hogan's "Complete Guide" books are awesome. I have a couple.First-rate information and very thorough. Well worth owning!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back