D7200 + ML-L3 - can't disable autofocus when using remote control

ntz

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello,

I've bought ML-L3 to improve my photography experience, I've been always using delayed shutter .. I have big problem with ML-L3 .. No matter what I do, ML-L3 always triggers autofocus adjusting, I didn't find a way to lock AF (?and AE on A mode for example) like if pressed AF-L/AE-L button ..

I was unable to find a combination of settings on my camera that will cause, that using remote control won't adjust AF (unless disabling AF on camera body completely) ..

Not sure if it's bug but even when I disable AF activation on shutter-release button and set AF-ON on AE-L/AF-L button, remote control will always adjust AF when pressed remotely shutter-release ...

Help me please to resolve this one .. it drives me nuts ... this looks similar with difference that I have d7200 ...

thanks and regards, dan

I've never tried to use the remote with manual focus; For an AF-S lens, try turning off AF with the button located on the side of the lens.

I've never tried to use the remote with manual focus; For an AF-S lens, try turning off AF with the button located on the side of the lens.

hello, thanks for input ... after some further research it seems like that's the limitation and it works like this by design - which is really stupid .. but let me tell you my workflow, that's just obvious and easy:

1) prepare exposure on tripod, it's normal to use viewfinder zoom and AF
2) baaam, you fire that ;)

I wanted to upgrade step #2 and acquired remote control hoping, that it all will be even smoother, cooler and sexier ... but this stupid limitation just spoiled that .. Without remote control I usually set my camera that I turn off the AF on half-pressed shutter release button and set change the func of AF/AE-L button to do just AF (it's called AF-ON, see here, page 277, func c4 and later f4) and use delayed shutter

I was in hope that remote control will allow me somehow to skip this manual changes back and forth every time I am using tripod ..

ofc when the camera AF is off (focus is switched to manual it all works as expected ..)

regards, d

Most reactions

New Topics

Back