D750 Successor Wishlist

Discussion in 'Nikon Cameras' started by Solarflare, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

If you care at all about that, what do you want from the D750 successor ?

I myself:

- Price: I guess my personal limit would be about 4k€, above that is my cutoff.

- Size/Weight: Frankly, if I can get larger AF area and a silent shutter for that, I want to go back to the D600 size.

- Sensor: Well Thom Hogan is wrong, the resolution needed for "perfect" 4K would be 45 Megapixel (8192 * 5462 = 44,744,704), not just 33 Megapixel. Though I guess many will be perfectly happy with UHD (4K: 4096x2160 at 24 Hz, UHD: 3840x2160 at 60 Hz) already. Personally I much rather would want 12 or 16 Megapixel, excellent pixel quality including good color at low ISO and excellent reserves in high ISO, and high fps instead. Native ISO 100k would be perfectly sufficient, I dont need any of the expanded modes after that. But oh well, realistically I expect native 25k and expanded 100k this time around, and again 24 Megapixel. I guess thats fine.

- New D5/D500 Autofocus: Why yes, I would like to live on the bleeding edge of Nikons autofocus system. Especially the larger AF area gives me a huge WANNA HAVE WANNA HAVE reaction. I dont mind so much that its mostly left/right (in the standard landscape orientation): thats understandable given the technical limitations, and I mostly miss the space in portrait orientation, anyway.

- Ergonomics: Pretty pretty please get rid of the completely idiotic policy to enable the monitor when one changes ISO !!! Who even came up with this silliness ? Seriously ! Oh, and a separate AF-ON Button would be nice. And give us at least one more U mode. And make U modes save everything, just like Canon does since ages; for example I would like to be able to configure U1 to video at 1080p, U2 to video at 720p, U3 for sports, as quick selects to react to a situation.

- Touchscreen: One of the biggest issues I have with the D750 is that Lifeview is really useful, especially for focusing in low light or when I use the tilting screen, but choosing the AF point is hella slow. A touchscreen would be really, really helpful there.

- Fully articulated flipscreen instead of just an up-down tiltscreen: despite careful handling, my D750 screen already has minimal scratches. My D5100 was perfect until the end. So yes, I want a full flipscreen again. Also the effect would be that many controls move to the right side, which makes them easier accessible.

- Shutter: silent, more silent, completely silent. Give me a silent shutter in the first place, electronic first curtain, and fully electronic in mirror up mode (just like D5). Thanks a lot !

- Video: Nikon is so far behind a GH4 its just not funny. I wont hold my breath there for good video from Nikon. They'd need focus peaking, full readout, 10 bit recording, ... fortunately I'm not into video that much in the first place.

- Memory cards: Again 2 of same type, with backup mode. I would like SD with UHS-II support.

- Build: No wishes there.

2. 407370

407370 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    My bugbear is fully articulated screens. I never take pics at eye level so a tilting screen is fundamental to how I work.

3. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Considering the D750 came out only a year ago and unless Nikon will come out with a D700 replacement I dont see a D750 replacement any time soon but just for fun what would I like to change in the D750 replacement ?

Sensor

Around 28MP
    Better low light performance

Auto Focus
    The D5 159 AF system please, pretty please with cream and sugar on top

Dont need much more, dont need fully articulated screen or touch screen (even though it will be nice but I will probably not use it)
    ISO button ?
    Well 99% of the time my D750 is in suto ISO so its not a problem anyways.

Yeap just give me an even better low light, even better AF system and just a weee bit more resolution thats all I would like.

4. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    So you want a slightly larger and heavier camera?

D750: 750g. 141 x 113 x 78 mm

D6x0 : 760g. 141 x 113 x 82 mm

5. gsgary

gsgary Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    This thread is ridiculous

• Like Like x 3
  6. Dave442

Dave442 Been spending a lot of time on here!

AF-ON, no U, no scene modes, ISO button as on D5, updated AF… oh wait, that's the D700 replacement.

It does seem strange that the rear screen has to light up on the D750 every time ISO is changed. That would be like turning on my cell phone at the movie theater for some places I go.

7. Braineack

Braineack Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Dear Nikon Users,

Enable EASY ISO.

Love, Braineack

• Like Like x 2
  8. Solarflare

Solarflare No longer a newbie, moving up!

Thanks, but thats pretty pointless, because

(a) first thing I always have to do is disable Auto-ISO, and that requires pressing the ISO button (rather the reprogrammed MOVIE button, actually) either way, which then lights up the monitor either way

(b) most of the time I want set the ISO explicitly when in I'm M mode, which doesnt allow this special functionality anymore, anyway.

Also I think Easy ISO adds more confusion, too.

9. PaulWog

PaulWog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    My ideal camera right now? It would be the d750 with a lot of what was already mentioned, but here is my list:

Built in sensor vibration reduction

Even better af (I do experience single servo focusing properly, but there is a quarter second delay where if I recompose quickly after acquiring focus the camera will refocus again... Annoying). Autofocus can always get smarter in lots of ways.

Bigger shutter life.

Touchscreen.

Better interface with more built in capabilities. I like that my camera is a tool that I do what I want with, but if apps could load to my camera like on a smartphone there could be some expanded ease of use and possibilities.

4K and 240fps or even better slow motion would be really nice.

I'm not a fan of the mushy angled arrow control pad on the camera. I still wish they could put a skinny wheel like canon, or a more satisfying control pad.

ISO performance improvements are always wanted.

Mirrorless size is a big one.

I want to be able to customize automatic settings with some if then else statements. Easy iso doesn't suit me, but it could with some modifications.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. goodguy

goodguy Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Oh, oh yes, I will have one of those please and thank you :1247:

11. astroNikon

astroNikon 'ya all Bananas I tell 'ya Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    That's what the AF-LOCK button is for

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  12. PaulWog

PaulWog No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit

Not really. Let's say I am taking a portrait shot. I focus on the subject's eye. The camera has already acquired focus and locked on. I am still half-pressing the shutter, and I am on AF-S. I go to recompose slightly, keeping the shutter half pressed still, and if I do this too quickly the camera will sometimes try to refocus even though it's on AF-S.