D800 prime 50, 35, or 24?

Ended up going with the 24-70 Nikon for my zoom. The store said if it was in good condition within a few weeks when the tamron drops, they'd swap and refund the difference. This way I'm not lens-less and If the Tammy doesn't drop in time, well heck... I still have one of the best lenses out there :). Win win!

Lem

Add to your list the rest of the primes often used by pros - 85 mm, 105 mm, 135 mm, 180 mm, 200 mm, 300 mm, 400 mm, 600 mm. Though the 400 mm and 600 mm are more for sports, and wildlife.

o hey tyler said:
Really? I just got a 35/1.4L (Canon) and haven't been able to put it down. Wonderful color reproduction, and it's quite versatile.

Is the canon similar in performance to nikon's version as far as you know?

I'm still interested. The 35 on crop is a little tight for a walk around for what I like. But on FX, 35 might be the ticket and cut down on the weight a bit over the 24-70

Lem

I like my 35mm f/2 on the D700. When I'm testing self portraits for lighting patterns, I usually have the 85mm f/1.8 mounted.

Only the 50 and the 24 would work when you make the switch. The 35 1.8 will work technically but it's a DX lens. Unless you mean the 35 f2 or 1.4.
For a walk around, the 35 is nice but it's not that wide on a crop. Something worth considering is grabbing a tamron 17-50 2.8 in the meantime. When you go fx, sell it.

35 1.4G dogggg!

I find it hard to justify the 35 1.4.

Really? I just got a 35/1.4L (Canon) and haven't been able to put it down. Wonderful color reproduction, and it's quite versatile.

I didn't say it wasn't a nice lens. I am sure it is. Also, it is Cindy's main lens at weddings.

For me, I can't justify it because it wouldn't make sense for us both to be using a 35mm 1.4 from that close. We would also get each other in our shots. Also, I have a 16-35 2.8 and a 35-70 2.8, so a 35mm prime isn't something I could justify.

Again, that is just my personal preference.

o hey tyler said:

Is the canon similar in performance to nikon's version as far as you know?

I'm still interested. The 35 on crop is a little tight for a walk around for what I like. But on FX, 35 might be the ticket and cut down on the weight a bit over the 24-70

Lem

Yeah, they're both "pro" glass. I've taken the majority of shots over the past few weeks with my 35L. From what I can tell about the Nikon version is quite similar. I feel that it provides a very nice FOV for landscapes in particular.

jbc0aXVjTcO4U0.jpg

jLWiAgfVVMZ9h.jpg

Both taken on a full frame camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back